New York Giants’ Bear Pascoe Signs Exclusive Rights Tender

April 16th, 2012 at 2:35 PM

New York Giants tight end/fullback Bear Pascoe made an early appearance at the TIMEX Performance Center on Monday, and it wasn't just a planned visit. Pascoe has signed his exclusive right tender and will remain with Big Blue for at least the 2012 season.

Without Travis Beckum and Jake Ballard, both of whom are recovering from ACL surgeries, the Giants needed to retain what depth they did have at the tight end position. A versatile Pascoe not only gives them that, it gives them another option at fullback should they need it.

In 16 regular season games last year, Pascoe hauled in 12 receptions for 136 yards. He added another five receptions for 39 yards and a touchdown in the playoffs.

Pascoe will backup newly signed Martellus Bennett. His one-year tender is worth $540,000.

Tags: Bear Pascoe, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

9 Responses to “New York Giants’ Bear Pascoe Signs Exclusive Rights Tender”

1.  norm says:

Can’t say I’m all that excited seeing as how Pascoe was my 53rd favorite player on the Giants roster last year.

Heck, NOW we’re the preseason favorites for the Lombardi thanks to Bear’s game-changing abilities and great football name.

By the way, referencing norm’s comment at the end of the last thread, I have thought for a number of months that Capers might be a very viable possibility for depth on the O-line. But as a candidate at RT he’d be competing, in all likelihood, with not only Diehl and Brewer, but also Locklear, whom I think is a lot better than most recognize. And you have to assume that there will be a few tackles added to the camp competition through some combo of the draft and UDFA signings.

Honestly, when you look at whom the Giants will have in camp and figure all the additions from seven draft picks, and then add the usual UDFA signings, I believe this will be a camp that is remembered for survival of the fittest at an awful lot of positions. Making the Giants’ 2012 roster is going to be a real accomplishment. The depth on this team should be incredible this season. If I were the GM for another team I would have some of my pro personnel people looking awfully carefully at the Giants, ready to pounce on players who don’t make the cut. Among them will be some very good football players.

•  norm says:

Unless Capers turns out to be a total stiff, I’d give him more than a puncher’s chance in the competition for the starting RT job.

I think the fact that he’s been in the system for two years now could weigh heavily in his favor. That’s two years of gaining familiarity with the playbook. And two years of being coached up by Flaherty. It’s also one more year than Brewer has been here and two more years than Locklear. In fact, off all the prospective candidates for the RT job, he’s second only to Diehl in terms of seniority.

Obviously, nothing is going to be handed to him and that, realistically, he’s not one of the favorites (I’d say Diehl and Brwewer are still the top two betting choices) But the “book” on him coming out of school was that he was still raw and probably two years away from being an NFL quality player. Well, he’s put in his two years now. Who knows? Maybe he’s now ready to step up and finally open some eyes in camp.

3.  The Original G Man says:

BTW, loved Kyle’s Mohamed Sanu pick on the previous thread. I agree he definitely sounds like our kind of guy.

4.  The Original G Man says:

Personally, I like Pascoe. Dude came through for us in the postseason.

I LOVE The Bear. Didn’t mean to imply otherwise in my post. But he isn’t exactly an impact player.

5.  The Original G Man says:

Here’s a link to USA Today’s annual draft database. I’ve found this one to be head and shoulders above all others I’ve come across on the interwebs: