New York Giants Work Out Local Prospects Matt Simms and Rutgers’ Mohamed Sanu

April 11th, 2012 at 7:49 PM
By Kyle Langan

Today the New York Giants had one of their busiest days in some time. They worked out a deal for Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers for a 5th rounder and signed offensive linemen Sean Locklear. But their work wasn't near done.

The Giants worked out former Don Bosco standout Matt Simms as well as Rutgers wide receiver Mohamed Sanu.

Sanu is projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round selection this April after a solid career at Rutgers. The Giants attended his pro day and continued to do their due diligence and brought him in for a workout today according to Mike Garafolo.

Simms spent some time at junior college before transferring into Tennessee where he started a number of games over the course of the past two seasons. He is the son of former Giants great Phil Simms.

There will be more workouts for the team later this week.

Photo information:

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

8 Responses to “New York Giants Work Out Local Prospects Matt Simms and Rutgers’ Mohamed Sanu”

1.  kujo says:

I’ve read several mock drafts that penciled Sanu in as our 2nd or 3rd round pick. Anyone have a good scouting report on him? I don’t know much about the guy.

2.  COUNT_ON_IT says:

Molden to Giants.

I love Sanu (Rutgers season ticket holder here) but I don’t think he fits what we’re looking for in a WR. He is not a threat down the field at all. He’s the definition of a possession WR. He won’t threaten you deep like Manningham did and I think that’s what we need to replace.

I would prefer someone more explosive like Givens.

Antwaun Molden former CB from the Pats – ‘glad to be a Giant’

This says to me someone is moving to safety whether it’s TT, Coe Witherspoon or even Molden. It seems like we have too many CBs and I’m not convinved we won’t draft another one.

4.  Dirt says:

AP: Giants Trade Garbage-Time Draft Pick for Injury-Plagued Bust, Spells End for Sack Specialist Umenyiora in New York

Allegedly.

•  norm says:

LoL.

It’s unclear if the “AP” in this case refers to Antonio Pierce or the Associated Press. No matter; they’re both equally reliable as either a source of news or an opinion. Which is to say hardly at all.

Apropos of these thoughts, it’s also worth noting that the Bengals seem to have a history of watching their so-called “busts” leave town and flourish elsewhere. Particularly on defense with Ahmad Brooks and Justin Smith being two of the more notable recent examples. Here’s hoping that Rivers turns out to be as big as a bust for the Giants as Brooks and Smith were for the Niners.

5.  Fars says:

I still need some clarification on the Rivers trade.

I am not questioning the trade per se as Rivers is clearly more valuable than a #5 pick.

What I don’t understand is that it is just a 1 year contract. (There is a voidable 2nd year but I don’t know if this one applies to the Giants inheriting the contract as well).

Now if he plays a great season he’s an UFA and will demand a lot more money.
    Can we then still pull the trigger on the 2nd year option ?

If so then I am pleased for having a (potentional) good LB for the next 2 years, if not, it’s just one year. Isn’t that too little ?