New York Giants Sign Offensive Tackle Sean Locklear

April 11th, 2012 at 3:21 PM

It's been a busy day for the New York Giants. Not only did they trade a 5th round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals in exchange for linebacker Keith Rivers, they've also signed offensive tackle Sean Locklear, previously of the Washington Redskins.

"It feels great to be signed to a team again! Just signed with the G-Men! Can't wait to get back and get started. God is Good!" Locklear tweeted.

Locklear, who was drafted in the 3rd round (84th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks, switched to tackle in his rookie season after Floyd Womack was injured during the preseason. He played well enough for the Seahawks to sign him to a 5-year extension worth $32 million, including $12 million guaranteed.

He was signed to a one-year deal by the Washington Redskins prior to the 2011 season.

"I was on the other end of two games against the Giants last year – followed them pretty well in their run to the Super Bowl. But, actually, when I got the call I was kind of excited about the chance to actually play in New York and who doesn’t want to play with the team who just got done winning the Super Bowl? My thing is to just get in here and start fresh, start learning again and try to help this team get back to where they want to go," Locklear said.

The North Carolina State alumni has played in 103 NFL games over his eight year career, starting 81 of them. He's another big-bodied player who is capable of filling in at multiple positions across the line for the Giants.

Oh, and his nickname? It's "Cornbread."

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Sean Locklear

21 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Offensive Tackle Sean Locklear”

1.  Chad Eldred says:

Nice to hear about something other than bounties.

2.  COUNT_ON_IT says:

Another good move if I assume correctly that it’s for the vet min. Locklear has been a decent OT in this league and he’ll probably fill the Andrews/Ugoh role as an extra blocker as well as providing depth. He’s an upgrade over Ugoh in that regard.

3.  norm says:

Well, I guess it’s better than Heather Locklear.

Then again… seeing as how Sean is likely nothing more than a camp body, they might as well have gone with Heather. Much nicer body, IMHO.

Sorry Kyle but I think you have to redo your mock draft again. I think the moves today moreso Rivers decreases the possiblity of us drafting a OT & LB with our first 2 picks.

This is a perfectly good move. This guy was a pretty good player for years for the Seahawks, and then did a pretty good job against our D-line this past season when their starting tackles were out but we most definitely did NOT get to Rex Grossman.

He’s probably viewed as a better player than Ugoh and a healthier player than Andrews. Sounds like very good depth to me. No doubt he’s getting the veteran minimum, which is what he should get and what Kareem probably wouldn’t take even if he had been offered it.

Reese and the player personnel staff are having a darned good day.

I wonder if right now that’s it for our cap roon save for maybe 500k? Rivers 2 mil ish & Locklear 1 mil ish and we had like 3.5 mil.

•  norm says:

Which, of course, could lead the more conspiratorially minded among us to conclude that something may be in the works for Osi.

Not only would a trade of Osi net the Giant some valuable draft picks but it could also result in over $3 million in badly needed cap relief.

Very true. Again, I want to keep Osi but I think this Rivers move is possibly a prelude to an Osi trade. I don’t think Goff is out the picture because Rivers maybe our starting SLB.

7.  GIANTT says:

Wow , I step out of the building while the fire department does their thing and Reese goes nuts !
    I LOVE

8.  GIANTT says:

it when Rees does these signings – cant say I know anything about either of them to be honest so I will take it for granted that both are going to be well worth the price .
    And with my seal of approval Reeses rating goes up to 99 %

Really, the best parallels for these moves today are when Mitchell was brought in to man a spot at linebacker that they felt he could handle and when they signed Stacy Andrews for depth knowing he could start in an emergency but certainly act as an extra blocker when they wanted a jumbo set throughout the season.

The nice thing about Rivers is that while we’d all have to be pretty happy if he matches what Mitchell did for the team in 2007, his upside is really far greater. In the defense that Fewell runs he could become a premier player if he can stay healthy. He really was THAT good in college.

10.  GIANTT says:

So Rivers is fast enough to cover the TEs etc . I know that was a weak spot and several teams took advantage over the last couple of years .if that is the case . wouldnt it be imperative to make sure the Giants can maintain pressure by rushing only 4 linemen most plays which is a very strong attribute of this defense ?
    Thus keeping Osi happy would seem to be just as important now as ever ?

•  G-MenFan says:

As much as I think we’d all like to keep Osi, I can’t see any way to do it AND keep him “happy”. His next contract will be his last and he naturally wants it to be big. I can’t fathom how JR can do this given our cap situation.

Plus, this week’s rumor mill has JR trading Osi before the draft. This is the most plausible scenario to me. Getting Osi to a team we don’t have to compete with and getting a high draft pick or 2 “sort of high” draft picks in consecutive years would be all we’re looking for. I’m looking for Osi to be gone within 10 days and the Giants getting a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2013 for him.