Tyler Sash Ready to Fill Whatever Role New York Giants Need Him To

April 9th, 2012 at 11:15 AM

There's something to be said about role players; guys who set aside their own egos and do whatever it is they're asked to do for the better of the team. New York Giants safety Tyler Sash is one of those guys.

After a solid rookie season, Sash is already looking ahead to his sophomore year with tremendous optimism. And as he did in 2011, he's ready and willing to fill whatever role the team asks of him in 2012.

"I’m going to do whatever is asked of me. That’s the type of person I am, that’s the type of player I am. Whatever is asked of me, I’m going to do that to the best of my abilities. If that translates into getting more snaps or starting on defense, that’s what I want to do," Sash said.

More snaps on defense, a larger role on special teams…the safety from Iowa doesn't care. After winning the Super Bowl the overall goal is a simple one: repeat at any cost.

“I think everybody’s goal going into the season is to be the starter at whatever position they play or get in packages. Whatever it is, whatever I can do to help my team win games and get back to where we were just at is obviously the goal," he added.

In 16 regular season games, Sash had 17 tackles and two forced fumbles. He added another seven tackles in the postseason, including five in the Giants' 24-2 wildcard victory over the Atlanta Falcons.

Photo information:

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tyler Sash

Short URL:

23 Responses to “Tyler Sash Ready to Fill Whatever Role New York Giants Need Him To”

Repost:

Krow says:
    April 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    Let me help ….

Teams using a base 4-3 defense are in the minority. This actually gives us an edge in the draft since some draftees are more suited to our scheme than the more prevalent 3-4 alignment. With that in mind here are a few who might drop because of that …

Round 1 –

Andre Branch – DE
    Devon Still – DT
    Zach Brown – LB
    Dont’a Hightower – LB

Round 2 –

Nick Perry – DE
    Jerel Worthy – DT
    Vin Curry – DE

Although, I think a few of those players can play in a 4-3 your point is a good one. I think OLBs like David and Brown also fall into that category. However, the issue is that the players who can fall some into the 2nd will likely not be available at our spot in the 2nd round. I wonder if we use our 4th round pick to move up in the 2nd round since we have another pick a few spots after and have only so much roster space for rookies.

Nothing would surprise me, but we do have a lot of roster holes. And Reese may want to use every pick.

I don’t think we have a lot of roster holes. We have some areas that we can improve our depth but IMO other than RB no glaring holes.

I’m just not “seeing” those guys you’re noting could drop in the first round as picks the Giants would make.

Branch is okay, but raw. I saw him play a few times and think of him as a less-talented Osi who would probably have a tough time beating Kiwi out for playing time. He has excellent speed but isn’t a guy with a lot of moves.

Devon Still? I don’t think he’s nearly as good a run-stuffer as Joseph and Canty and not nearly as explosive as Austin. He’d be the #4 DT and wouldn’t dress. Bad pick at #32.

Brown plays a position we do NOT need. Why draft him early when he’d play behind Boley and Williams?

I like Hightower, but he is still not the rangy MLB that we need and if we’re not looking for someone who can cover well then why didn’t we re-sign Goff? The team must be thinking of going in another direction, and I don’t see Hightower fitting it.

So, frankly, I’m hoping all of those guys get picked before our pick comes up. leaves more talent we really DO need from which to choose.

For me the point is some of these guys and other players that fit 4-3 only will be available in the second round or even later because they are not scheme diverse.

Brown is the most interesting player. While I agree on the surfice he doesn’t make sense. But if we are moving Boley to MLB and Kiwi might move back to DE next year then it would make some sense. It seems unlikely due to how we seem to value LBs but possible nonetheless.

I’m less fired up over Sash than most. His Combine numbers were pretty poor. And that means he lacks ‘physicality’. He’s also more of an ‘in the box’ safety than a cover guy.

However he does seem to possess superior football instincts. He has a nose for the ball. He’s smart and plays hard.

IMHO that destines him to special teams and spot duty. As FF55 points out … we could use a safety.

I’m not fired up about Sash either. I hope he proves me wrong but I don’t think much of him in terms of developing into a good starter. I think F55 has a valid point about safety depth but I continue to wonder if a CB will be converted. If not then either Sash and/or Jones are better than we think.

3.  kujo says:

One thing Tollefson’s departure means is that the Giants are far less likely now to trade Umenyiora. That likelihood already seemed to be fading, as last year’s hard feelings between Umenyiora and the Giants over his contract situation have eased considerably. But now, even if they can’t extend Umenyiora’s contract, it’s hard to imagine the Giants getting a trade offer that makes it worth losing two pieces of their pass rush in the same month.

It’s possible the Giants could look for a linebacker, or an increased contribution from one or more of last year’s rookie linebackers, and move Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end full-time. Kiwanuka played well in his hybrid role last year, but he’s a pass-rusher at heart and would surely be happy to be asked to pick up whatever snaps Tollefson left behind.

And yeah, they’re picking No. 32 in the draft in 17 days, and they have needs at running back and tight end and linebacker and places like that. But you know, if you follow the Giants, that if a pass rusher like Syracuse’s Chandler Jones falls to them at 32, there’s a very real chance they take him. As we discussed last week, there are certain bedrock facets of the Giants’ team-building philosophy, and the most prominent may be their belief in the importance of the pass rush. Tollefson’s departure doesn’t leave them short in that key area for 2012. They still have Tuck and Umenyiora and Kiwanuka and Jason Pierre-Paul, which is a group for which a lot of other teams would kill. But it’s a reminder that things can get thin quickly, and defensive end is one position at which the Giants are determined never to let that happen.

I think the only way we see Osi traded now is if we grab a pass rushing DE at #32. Otherwise I agree … he’s going nowhere.

I have remained on the Osi is just playing out his contract and likely gone bandwagon. I don’t think drafting a pass rusher like Jones makes Osi less valuable this year. The point would be to be prepared for an Osi exit next year. Rookies are usually not different makes at DE, look at JPP.

Whomever wrote this is pretty wise. Would it surprise anyone if Reese picked Chandler Jones? I think he’d be a great choice. I’m fully expecting someone like him, a receiver, an offensive lineman or a safety with this pick. I think Fleener would be a terrific choice but don’t expect Reese to take him. If he did, though, the Giants would not need to keep searching for #3 wide receivers who are only on the field occasionally and will always leave for bigger contracts as soon as their rookie deal is over.

Frankly, Jones, Fleener or the best available safety would be my three favorite choices for that first pick. Thankfully, the Giants have smarter football people than I making that decision.

I think if you are not selecting Barron then you are clearly reaching at safety. While I agree we can use help at safety I think there are some decent prospects in the 3rd round range. Jones, Fleener are probably the most likely picks.

4.  rlhjr says:

Note: I think the Giants base defense is now the three safety alignment. Face it, (as I have been trying to do) they dont’t want/need a MLB. And they really will not spend on a kid who can not play on third down.

So if the Giants do hazzard to draft a inside backer, he will be a three down monster who can…….well, he’ll be the second coming of Patric Willis.

This just in, that player is not available this year. In fact he might be in elementry or high school right this minute.

Zach Brown is not undersized if you play him in the SAM slot. He is agile enough to be an excellent cover backer, and nasty enouhg to hold up against the run.
    This is not Simtim 2.0 here, this kid can be an impact player. Way to athelitic and speedy to ignore.

Repost:

IMHO

Josh Robinson is a 4.3 forty yard dash corner. He has the ability to play man to man and excels in zone/off coverage. He’s physical, but he comes in a little under the Giants “perfect size” profile. He has all the goods, but he has some learning to do. Who doesn’t?

That said, he will not last much longer than the 33rd to 40th pick.
    If Reese can find a way (and a team) to put him within reach of this kid, then trading back might be the way to go.

However, if either Zach Brown or Mark Barron are around at 32, Reese might stand pat. Barron? Steps in and replaces Grant in the three safety defense.
    He is also solid insurance in the event Sash and Jones don’t work out.
    It gives me no joy to think that Jones just might not make it. But that is a valid concern.

Sash MIGHT become pretty good. Barron WILL be VERY good out of the box.

Brown? Straight freak. The type Reese likes, very similar to JPP in that he’s very green, but has the physical gifts that give him unlimited upside.

What stands out about Brown to me is I really think he can play that 3rd safety role or swing down and play SAM. In short I think he has the ability to cover. Which makes taking a safety, even one as good as Barron moot.
    Very interesting player is Zach Brown.

I only saw Brown play a few times but I think you have just overestimated him by a mile. He’s a very good player but if you think he can hold up consistently against the run in that SAM position I think you’re nuts. And yeah, he can cover, but as well as a safety? Come on now.

The guy is a potentially great weak side backer, but we have one of the best in the league for another two years (Michael Boley) and a potentially off-the-charts great one in Williams. I think Reese is going to want to play those two at the same time a lot this season, and may, as some have reported, be thinking about moving Boley to the middle on early downs, flanked by Williams on the weak side and Kiwi on the strong side. That would work IF Joseph, Canty, Austin and their playmate do a strong job against the run and keep offensive linemen off Boley and the safties coming up to help.

For all I know, you’re right that Brown could handle the strong side (I don’t think so, but I have only seen him play a few times), but I still wouldn’t use my first pick on him when there are far greater needs for this team that can be filled via their first pick.

•  rlhjr says:

He’s a hybrid 55 and that why I said he would make taking a safety moot.

The Giants have two conventional safety types already. What the do not have is a legit SAM. And with Grant leaving, another stud safety, or a 244 pound SAM who can cover is very much in order. Everyone always says the Giants do not employ true 43 personnel. And by God they do not. They have smaller linebackers, more mobile.
        Another bonus that Brown will yeld is the ability to blitz.

That what they want, and that is what Brown is. On the other hand, if they play it close to the vest, then Barron is the guy. I dont think Im nuts. But it ok for you to think so. I think Fewell defensive plan calls for smaller backers and/or more active safety play. Neither Sashs or Jones can provide that. ON THEIR BEST DAY.

If you think so, you’re not nuts, just slightly miss informed. The Giants are looking for defenders with speed and versitality. Nuts or not, that the truth.

I see that Brown has talent and if we move Boley to MLB he can be in certain packages. But I don’t think he’s a SAM, he’s just not physical. We only played small LBs in passing situations or vs passing teams. Still Jones, Herzlich and Blackburn started at MLB last year. Only only Boley was an undersized LB. Now we are going to start Brown, Boley and Williams? That’s way too small as a starting unit. The NFL is a passing league now but you can’t play a unit that small IMO.

Okay, I agree with your premise, not your solution. What I think makes no sense is using that incredibly valuable first pick to get someone who provides essentially what Boley and Williams already do. In those two and Paysinger we have one veteran who is among the best OLBers in the league and two youngsters who look like they may join those ranks (Williams immediately and Paysinger possibly at some point).

Would you really opt for a first pick who won’t see the field in 2012, may become a factor in 2013 and will only start in 2014, at a position that isn’t absolutely crucial to the success of the defense? I wouldn’t. I have no problem looking for a good linebacker who can play the strong side when we get around to rounds 4-7 of the draft, perhaps even earlier if someone really good drops into our lap. But there’s no way I’d take a player for that role with my first two picks when we will have many options with those picks that are better-suited to more immediate needs OR play positions that are more important in the Giants’ scheme.

Remember, the Giants depend first-and-foremost on Eli and his receivers, and their pass rush (particularly from the outside and by players who create mismatches with their hands in the dirt); and second on a defensive backfield that can create turnovers and a combination of offensive line and backs that can provide a “balanced” offense. The linebackers are gravy. We want good ones, but we’re no longer a team that depends on LT, Carson, Kelly, Van Pelt,Banks, et. al. for our defensive success. I’d be shocked if we draft one with a first pick unless he really is another Willis, or an LT. They don’;t make many of them, and Zach Brown ain’t that.

5.  rlhjr says:

Boy was that bad, I am trying to work and post and defend myself at the same time. Suffice to say, the Giants do not play a conventional 43. And they compensate of lack of linebacking with another safety.

Taking either Barron or Brown makes perfect sense. I am not suggesting that Brown play the last line of defense as a true safety.

I am however saying that he is more than able to take on the coverage responsibilities of a MIKE backer, or SAM backer in one of the Giants various 4 man front “LOOKS”. And Brown can haul his 244lbs at a 4.4 rate of speed. Like I said, he’s a straight freak and he’s not by any means a stiff.

Now I feel better.

I’d love Barron, but doubt we can get him.

Yes, the Giants will look to add speed to their defense (although they must also always be aware that they also need run-stoppers….Kiwi was as valuable to the defense last season as anyone but never received sufficient accolades).

But with Boley for another two years and Williams for many years, and Paysinger available too, why look for more linebacker speed in the first round when you can probably get some later?

I don’t know, maybe my problem is that when I saw Brown play he didn’t impress me as the kind of freakish guy his numbers at the Combine suggest. So I’m not convinced he’s as good a football player as he is an athlete. I could be dead wrong on that, because my sample size is two games, not all of which I even watched. But he really didn’t jump off the TV screen like the great players do even over the course of one game.

6.  GetDownWithJPP says:

Seems like we are building some consensus here with Chandler Jones

7.  BigBlueGiant says:

I for one wouldnt mind Chandler Jones at 32, but i just don’t see it happening.

It’s really a reach pick at 32 in all honesty. If he’s there at 64 than 100% grab him. He could very easily be there at 64.

I think there’s just better value at 32 than Jones. I like the kid too. But he’s got a lot to learn still.

8.  BBWC says:

I want TE Coby Fleener at 32 for several reasons.

- He’s a step above the other TE’s in the draft.
    - Coby’s a good recieving TE with potential to be a good blocker.
    - Supposedly NFL ready.
    - Fills a need. (should start from day 1)
    - Eli is in his prime, the more weapons/targets you can give him the better.
    – Ballard and Beckum are coming off serious injuries. (I know Beckum said, he may be ready by the start of the season, but I doubt it….. Plus, Beckum hasn’t impressed me).
    - Remaining TE’s on the roster are unproven.
    - We know Bennett can block, but there are some concerns with his maturity, production…ect. (still needs to prove himself).
    - If Bennett doesn’t pan out, or gets injured, we’re in trouble. Its not like you can slide a player over, or make adjustments, like other positions. You either have a good TE or you don’t.
    - With manningham gone, Coby could help ease the pain.
    - Pairing Fleener with Bennett could potentially be “down right scary”, if they both pan out. (then add Nicks and Cruz and it’s an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses……you can’t double everyone).

IMO….. Coby has the best chance of making an “immediate impact” not just as a TE but for the players around him.