March 26th, 2012 at 6:28 AM

The Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins were penalized a collective $46 million against the salary cap for manipulating said cap in 2010; something the NFL warned against, telling all 32 clubs that it could come back to hurt them once a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) was reached. Now that it has, and now that they're fighting it, New York Giants co-owner and NFL Management Committee chairman John Mara has lashed out at them, reminding each team that they're lucky all they lost was the salary cap space.

“I thought the penalties imposed were proper,” Mara said. “What they did was in violation of the spirit of the salary cap. They attempted to take advantage of a one-year loophole, and quite frankly, I think they’re lucky they didn’t lose draft picks.”

Because of the loophole year in 2010, teams weren't given exact parameters and there were no rules -nor punishments- set in stone. And despite the warnings, the league did approve all contracts, including those of Miles Austin, Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall – all of which were used as an example of exploiting the loophole and the non-capped season.

On Sunday, the Cowboys and Redskins filed a joint grievance against the NFL, he NFL Management Council and the NFL Players Association, challenging the removal and redistribution of the $46 million in cap space ($36 million for the Skins, $10 million for the Cowboys). And ultimately, the sticking point of the grievance is that both teams are being punished for "refusing to engage in illegal collusion" the year prior to the NFL Lockout.

Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder, clever as they are, included the NFLPA in this grievance as a way to ensure that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has no say in its outcome.

Per PFT:

The league contends that the arbitration will proceed under Article 15 of the CBA, which provides for “system arbitration” by Special Master Stephen Burbank and review by an Appeals Panel.

A federal lawsuit could ultimately be the direction this is heading.

Tags: CBA, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Jerry Jones, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL, NFLPA, Roger Goodell, Washington, Washington Redskins

37 Responses to “New York Giants’ John Mara Says Redskins, Cowboys “Lucky” They Didn’t Lose Draft Picks”

This is what happens when an enterprise is invaded by rich dilettantes who have no real grounding in that particular line of business. Jerrah and Little Danny treat their respective teams more as fashion accessories than they do a football franchise. The purpose of the Cowboys and the Redskins is to aggrandize their respective owners. Make them ‘cool’ … relevant … turn them into ‘celebrities’. They’re the Kardashians of the NFL.

2.  Andre Holland says:

According to Matt Maiocco, the 49ers signed Manningham to a two year contract worth $7.375 million. The deal reportedly includes a $2 million signing bonus with base salaries of $1.2 million in 2012 and $3.6 million in 2013. The deal will feature a 2012 salary cap hit of $2.487M and a 2013 salary cap hit of $4.887M.

Really?

I think MM wanted to go where he’d see the ball more.

•  Emperor Norton says:

Still don’t see it. He’ll be #3 in SF, too, behind a recent top-12 draft pick and the second-greatest receiver in the history of the league. At least in NY he was the #3 WR with a top-5 quarterback throwing to him

•  Chad Eldred says:

I’m not a Mario fanboy by any stretch, but he is every bit as talented as anyone on the current 49 roster. Moss wasn’t even in football last year. He is 35 years old. Unless the X-files is still on the air and we are all getting ready for Y2K, Moss is irrelevant. Crabtree is okay, but nothing special. He had a decent year last year, but keep in mind he was the only weapon they had a WR which is why he was targeted. Not to mention he was invisible in the playoffs. Mario will get the ball thrown his way much more in SF than he would playing behind Nicks and Cruz.

3.  Samardzija says:

Happy birthday to our fearless leader Dan B……

This demonstrates a number of things:

1) Snyder and Jones are every bit the incredible jerks they are supposed to be, are people who will cut corners, and are so stupid that they are in the process of jeopardizing the league’s antitrust status and thereby killing off the salary cap and the revenue-sharing that keeps the NFL the most popular professional sports league extant. Both of these clowns would happily ruin the league in exchange for garnering some championship trophies to place on their mantles. No wonder John Mara expresses barely-hidden contempt for them. Had his family behaved the same way the Giants would be the premier franchise in the league, probably worth more than the rest of the league combined, and in a position to win as many championships as have the Yankees. He knows a parvenu when he sees one;

2) John Mara has a backbone. Good to see. Between this statement and his poke at the Jets and their Tebow conference today, it’s obvious he’s not just a suit.

As for Manningham, it sure looks like he decided that he can be the #1 target on the Niners and use the two-year deal to set himself up for the really big contract that he thinks will come his way after that. He shouldn’t have that much trouble winning a competition against Moss and the rest of the stiffs in the San Francisco receiving corps. And while he may find that being targeted by Alex Smith isn’t quite the same as by Eli Manning, it seems to me that he decided this was his best shot at the big bucks. I certainly think Reese could have found a way to pay him what he’s getting from this contract, so it just seems clear that he felt he had to get out from under Nicks and Cruz. I don’t blame him. This probably looks like a pretty good option to Mario and Rosenhaus. We can all wish that Mario would have preferred having a great shot at 2-3 more championships with the Giants, but he probably feels the Niners were one play away from going to the Super Bowl last season and he has a shot at a ring there and a pretty good shot at being the #1 receiver rather than without question the #3 guy. To stay with the Giants would have been a bet that they could not keep Cruz (or that Nicks or Cruz was hurt) and he would be the #2 receiver and get paid very well for it. Rosenhaus is smart enough to know that Reese will figure out a way to keep both Nicks and Cruz, or replace the latter with someone who would still probably beat out Mario for the #2 spot on the depth chart. I wish him good luck unless he’s playing the Giants. He was a blessing for us. Without him we don’t win the Lombardi. So he should be remembered fondly by all Giants’ fans.

5.  shmitty013 says:

Happy Birthday Dan! I know we all sometimes take this place for granted, but we really do appreciate all you do. We’re all crackhead Giant fans and you give us our fix. Thanks!

Happy birthday Dan. I’ve no idea how others know it’s your birthday, but I’ll take their word for it. I hope the site is supporting your dreams.

How about as a gift a back-to-back Lombardi with you getting an exclusive interview with JPP after he has set a Super Bowl record in New Orleans with four sacks of Peyton Manning as Eli defeats his big brother and they then cry together at the 50-yard-line after the final whistle?

F55 I don’t blame MM for wanted to leave or going to a team with a lot more balls thrown his way. But I just don’t think SF is that situation. I don’t think it’s a given that MM is better than Crabtree and/or Moss. I think he put himself in a situation where he can easily be made the 3rd WR even if he’s better than the other 2 WRs. But the most overlooked fact is that we are forgetting their true #1 receiver in TE Vernon Davis. He will be targeted a much as any WR. Then factor in that SF will still stick to a controlled passing game. If MM is lucky what Alex Smith throws for 3,200-3,500 yards. That’s way less than Eli has thrown since MM was a pro. Then the strength of his game is deep balls so he goes from one of the Elite deep ball throwers to a QB with a below average arm.

In addition, there’s the money he ended up getting which is way less than I thought. I think he could have re-signed for something for 2 years in that ball park. But I understand leaving I just think he was better off going to a number of other teams if his goal was to be able to shine.

Remember that Wunderlic score… Mario slammed home a 6. So I doubt there was a lot of detailed analysis going on.

If I had to guess I’d say that Reese is saving as much as he can to extend or renegotiate some critical players … Osi … Nicks … Cruz … Tuck … And that even ‘$7 mil over 2′ was too rich given the need to lock up impact starters.

I agree long term. Ee discussed MM the last few months I thought he was gone. But the one way I though MM could stay was on a 1 or 2 year deal like the one he signed with SF. We could extend Nicks, Cruz, Tuck with no big money hitting until 2014. I never thought Osi could be extended (though I would like it) to a long term deal. I also thought because of the players mention plus KP, Beatty, Kiwi, Joseph, Webster, etc that keeping MM and Osi was possible short term but not so long term.

8. ff55- If that happens I will be incapacitated and unable to write for a month straight.

Happy bday Dan. After working with my own website on a much smaller scale (nothing sports related) the past year I understand the work it takes if you are really trying make it quality and profit from it. Congrats on doing a quality job!

10.  Hanshi says: