New York Giants 2012 Draft Profiles: Rutgers Wide Receiver Mohamed Sanu

March 22nd, 2012 at 11:25 AM
By Kyle Langan

The wide receiver class of the 2012 NFL Draft is a very deep one. Players like Wisconsin's Nick Toon or Iowa's Marvin McNutt are all potential play makers whom could be found in middle rounds. Among these diamonds in the rough is a guy who resides very close to home for the New York Giants: Rutgers wideout Mohamed Sanu.

Sanu had his Pro Day just on Wednesday and had a nice showing, running a 4.41 40-yard dash.

Sanu grabbed 115 passes in his 2011 stint with the Scarlet Knights, while tacking on another seven touchdowns (that's just receiving, he also ran the wildcat effectively).

The Giants will be looking to replace the production of like Mario Manningham and also give themselves some depth at the receiver spot. Sanu would be a fine addition to the team as he possesses a number of skills that the Giants look to take advantage of in their offense.

The most intriguing part of Sanu's game is his ability to catch the ball at the top of his route. He is fantastic getting in and out of his routes and excels against man coverage. He does not find the open grass as effectively as say a guy like Kendall Wright, but he uses his body to shield off defenders and the top portion of his routes are fantastic. He also has breakaway speed to get behind the defense to go along with his route running skills, both necessities in the Giants scheme. Eli Manning is a quarterback who likes to make a lot of throws based on anticipation and Sanu knows how to get his head around and look for the football

Everything will depend on the value that is present, but look for the Giants to draft a receiver in the top three or four rounds. Sanu figures to be a guy who will go off the board around that range.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Rutgers

85 Responses to “New York Giants 2012 Draft Profiles: Rutgers Wide Receiver Mohamed Sanu”

1 2 3

I heard they used a calendar to time his 40 at the Combine. Reminds me a bit of Barden, only not as fast.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Other than that 4.41 40 he ran yesterday.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I put less stock in combine numbers with every passing year. I used to follow them religiously, but at the end of the day all that matters is what the guy can do on a football field in an actual game. I remember playing basketball against guys that couldn’t carry my jock in a sprint. Put a basketball in their hand and suddenly they were breaking my ankles. Real world, game speed is what counts. Not straight line on a track.

2.  Chad Eldred says:

I didn’t realize he ran that fast at his pro-day. I liked him before that, but many were questioning his speed. That doubt is put to rest.

Nick Toon will be a starter in the NFL. Book it. He has great body control and a good all around skill set. Would love to have him in middle rounds.

Repost:

I think the approach is more like with Bradshaw last year. I don’t think it’s a question of Goff not having value but there’s only so much JR will pay him. I think we just have to give it some time but I do expect Goff to be back in the fold.

We do have Boley, Williams and Paysinger as WLB types so I just don’t see us drafting a guy like Brown. I like him as a player but he’s the same type of player we already have. He’s not the type to take on blockers so I think in the for us he’s strictly a WLB. The BC kid makes way more sense in terms of what’s already on our roster. I like the FSU kid as a second-third round type pick as a SLB.

To be fair … I was originally very high on him … but that lousy 40 is hard to overcome. I’m not sure I trust his Pro Day number. Dropping from 4.65 to 4.41 sure makes me wonder. Now if it’s real … then it does change everything.

5.  norm says:

Repost:

I do think it’s a bit early in the game to reach any meaningful conclusions as to what Reese’s plans are for MLB – or any other position for that matter.

My guess is that right now he’s simply waiting out that market. The stock value of 4-3 MLBs in today’s NFL seems to have dropped faster than Enron’s so I’m sure Reese is confident that there will be some nice bargains to be had once all the dust settles. For all we know, that bargain could turn out to be our very own Jon Goff.

I also would not rule out the possibility of a MLB in the draft. With the Eagles seemingly out of the market for a MLB following the Ryans deal, the door is now open for Kuechly to possibly fall to 32. Or perhaps we’ll be surprised by some MLB we’ve never heard out out of the South Florida pipeline. Whatever. In any case, it’s safe to expect that at least one will be taken at some point on draft day.

One other longshot possibility is converting Chad Jones to MLB. If he never regains his top speed, it’s probably his only hope of making an NFL roster. Of course, he’s gonna have to bulk up quite a bit. The last few photos I saw of him, he looked thin as a rail. As I said, it’s a longshot. But seeing as the Giants are actually going to the trouble of bringing him to camp and letting him compete for a spot, it would not surprise me if the idea of converting him to a linebacker had not already crossed the coach’s minds.

6.  norm says:

Repost:

I also would not rule out the possibility of a MLB in the draft. With the Eagles seemingly out of the market for a MLB following the Ryans deal, the door is now open for Kuechly to possibly fall to 32. Or perhaps we’ll be surprised by some MLB we’ve never heard out out of the South Florida pipeline. Whatever the case, it’s safe to expect that at least one will be taken at some point on draft day.

7.  norm says:

Sorry for the double post.

8.  Samardzija says:

Doesnt really matters what he ran too me. He rarely gets seperation and has zero lateral quickness.

9.  Levito says:

I watch a lot of Rutgers games, and let me tell you, this kid’s the real deal. Way more impressive than Kenny Britt coming out of college, and not nearly the headache. Rutgers offense is atrocious, they have no QB, a bad running game, and no receivers other than Sanu. Opposing teams knew he was the only player to keep an eye on, and they knew when he was behind the QB or in motion across the line, there was a very good chance he would run the wildcat. Yet he always found a way to get open and always made the catch. He killed Larry Fitzgerald’s record of 92 catches, which was a Big East record until Sanu caught 115.

I don’t think that 4.41 40 time was very accurate, but his combine time seemed way slower. I’m sure it’s somewhere in between. He’s not a burner, I rarely saw him get completely behind a defense (not that the Rutgers committee of QBs could get the ball out to him if he were that wide open anyway), but he generally roamed the middle of the field 8-15 yards out. He was really good at finding holes in zones, and catching the ball in traffic. He doesn’t run the tightest routes, probably on par with Manningham, but he has better awareness of the field than Mario.

I’d love to see him slip to the bottom of round 2 where the Giants could grab him. He’d be a great security blanket for Eli.

I like Stephen Hill in that #32 spot over Sanu in any event.

1 2 3