Amani Toomer: There is a Chance Mario Manningham Returns to New York Giants

March 16th, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Free agent wide receiver Mario Manningham spent his Thursday visiting with the San Francisco 49ers and then, like Steve Smith, visiting with the St. Louis Rams. And although the latter seems to be a likely destination, former New York Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer believes there's still a chance he returns to Big Blue.

"I think there is a chance," Toomer said. "There's such a deep pool of receivers this year in free agency, and a deep pool of draftable receivers that he might find it may be his best bet to have another year to prove himself, and make some big plays with the Giants."

In addition to addressing the Manningham situation, Toomer touched on the pickle Big Blue finds themselves in when it comes to Victor Cruz. Should they pay him now? Should they pay him later? And what are the risks of both? Needless to say, it's a tough situation to be in for the Giants and it could go either way.

Finally, Toomer touched on the Twitter war he had with Jeremy Shockey on Thursday morning, standing by his comments that Shockey is a bad teammate and worse person. He referred back to several instances during Shockey's tenure with the Giants, and even mentioned the tight end getting out of line with Eli Manning in the huddle.

Tags: Amani Toomer, Football, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith, Victor Cruz

73 Responses to “Amani Toomer: There is a Chance Mario Manningham Returns to New York Giants”

1 2 3
  1.  TuckThis says:

EliManning is the answer to 3 down in the NY Times crossword today!

Toomer was right about Shockey, but he’s completely wrong about Manningham. There’s no way we’re even close to what he’s eventually going to get. Once he signs with a team the operative phrase will be, “Wow, that’s a lot of money”.

• Chad EldredChad says:

At this point I can understand why Toomer is saying, that. I believed Mario would be signed away by now. However, I’m huge believer in market dynamics. There are still plenty of teams in the market for a young, speedy WR. Besides SF and St Louis, there is Miami that can really use him and I would still think he would be appealing to the Bills opposite Johnson. Bottom line is that there are many spots that a WR is needed and not enough quality ones to fill them.

• Chad EldredChad says:

Jacobs is a different story. The market is terrible for RB’s. Even in a good RB market Jacobs would have a tough time getting a similar contract to the one he had. I think his chance of coming back is even money. May as well throw Goff into the conversation. ILB’s aren’t exactly flying off of the FA board.

I agree. I believe we can pay Jacobs fair market value it’s just a matter of if will accept that deal with us.

The linebacker is just slow period. So it will just take more time. It’s clear that LBs are just not a priority now in the NFL.

3.  LIGIANT says:

EliManning is ALWAYS the answer my friend

Seriously , my opinion of other teams managements also went up if Toomer is right
    about Manningham . I have no opinion one way or the other whether he should come back here or not because I think that the Giants will have enough people to throw to to make up his catches . Great SB catch – pay the man – inconsistency
    during the year ? meh .But I do think another year here will see him blossom now that he has a taste of success

I see that Kevin Boss signed a 3 year deal with KC . It makes the Bennett signing
    for almost nothing look like a STEAL

I was upset when Boss left. But in the end he scored 6,000,000 Count Chocula dollars … then signed for ‘$9 mil over 3′ with KC.

The math … $15,000,000 for 4 years … not a bad payday for a better-than-average TE. Certainly millions more than we were willing to part with.

5.  TuckThis says:

what are you all doing here? why aren’t you all on line for the new ipad? LOL!

6.  JimStoll says:

Meanwhile, if I’m following the Peyton Chase correctly, it sounds like the Denver Broncos are headed down the backstretch. @JeffDarlington reports that Peyton called Miami to tell them he won’t be a Dolphin. And @AlbertBreer is reporting that the Broncos’ plane is scheduled to depart for Raleigh, N.C. today, where Peyton has been hiding out. … I’m not an expert in reading tea leaves, but those make it sound like he’s about to be a Bronco.

Vacchiano

• Chad EldredChad says:

Yeah, most sources are saying it’s down to Denver or Tennessee.

•  giantsfan says:

I don’t know why he would want to be a bronco. I feel like they don’t have any star players and is not close to even being a competitive team for a championship.

•  Hanshi says:

They made the playoffs with Tebow. How far can they go with Peyton?

•  giantsfan says:

Their division is horrific. I wouldn’t say making the playoffs means theyre a good team. Can you name any player makers off the top of your head?

• Chad EldredChad says:

I’m hearing that it will be the best system for him to be in. I have no idea what that means and it’s just “experts” speculating, but everyone seems to feel he’s looking for the autonomy in running the offense that he had in Indy.

7. Robert Hodgesrlhjr says:

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Most of the big money is being spent now.
    I am pretty sure MM thought he’d be gone by now. And I am sure “Rosenlouse” may have known better.

My gut is he’s going to realize there is no place like home.
    If he puts in a solid injury free year, he helps the Giants and himself immeasurably.
    Just my opinion, and quite a humble one at that.

REPOST (For FF55 from previous thread)

That is spot on 55 and is exactly why what I have preached over the last few years. There is always a plan. More often than not, successful people and organizations have a plan and contingency plan as well.

And only injuries of a serious nature catch really good organizations off guard. Witness the Steelers over the last 15 years. At one time it seemed they simply “RELOADED” (much like high profile collage teams) each season even after free agency seemingly took away quote irreplaceable unquote talent.

No team will let a good player march out the door without having a redundancy plan. And if a player is released or walks, (as I told my girl friends as a kid) “your replacement will be here in the morning”.

The Giants knew they can replace McKenzie Goff, Jacobs, Manningham and even Osi (if it comes to that) with players as good or better. They will accomplish this either from within, via the draft or in some cases thru free agency. Excellent organizations (Of which the Giants are one) understand this and use this to their advantage in everything from the draft, to free agent signings to player contract negotiations.

So while I am given to flights of fancy concerning my wishes for draft picks, free agents and keeping/releasing certain players, I do understand that what I want is hardly of any consequence in the scheme of things. But I can’t ignore pointing out talent when I see it. So (those of you inclined to do so) shoot me. That said:
    RONNELL LEWIS !!!!!!!

8.  norm says:

I more or less made the same point as Toomer re: Mario last night.

I still think the likelihood is that he signs somewhere else for far more money than he would get from the Giants.

But the scuttlebutt is that there are only three teams left who have any real interest in him: St Louis, Miami, and Buffalo.

If it comes to pass that he leaves St Louis without a deal, his options will become very limited.

I’m actually surprised he has not been scooped up by now. I think he’s a better player than Laurent Robinson who has had one good season. And I like him better than Meachem who I think reaped more benefits from the Saints’ system than Mario reaped from the Giants’.

I obviously do not know whats been going on behind closed doors when Mario has met with these clubs. I can only surmise that Drew has been playing hardball and asking far more than what the teams feel Mario is worth. But who knows?

Right now, I think there’s about a 25% chance that Mario returns. If he leaves St Louis unsigned, I’d up those chances to around 40%.

•  JimStoll says:

why not Denver once they sign Peyton?
      They’ll still have lots of cap space and you can’t say manningham without saying Manning

• Chad EldredChad says:

I would love to be wrong and see him back. But I’m not going to get my hopes up, there are still too many suitors. Players have left places without deals only to ultimately sign there. Boss left Oakland last year with no deal and it was thought he was going to be back on the roster. We know how that turned out.

I don’t see MM returning. Teams still have plenty of money left and just more to offer than we do. And the truth is I really don’t think MM has any intention of returning. Part of him leaving is money which maybe we can challenge other teams. But the part we can’t is being more of a focial point of the offense. MM want’s to be the man or at least #2 and we just can’t offer that. We all would like MM to stay but I just don’t see it from his side.

• Chad EldredChad says:

That’s the kicker. There are still teams with much more money to spend than us. Or at least money they would be willing to spend. While it can be speculated that interest is only spread among a few teams, if his asking price comes down new teams could quickly enter the picture and might still be willing to offer substantially more than he would get back in NY. This is a fluid situation. A dark horse could come in and take him at any time.

•  norm says:

Of course Mario would love to go someplace where he can be The Man.

But as the saying goes, it takes two to tango.

Is there a team out there who sees Mario as The Man… or even as a #2?

Perhaps. But if the rumors are correct, there are only three such teams remaining.

This whole idea that “Mario will never return because there are so many other teams that will value him more than we do” reminds me of the discussions that take place every year before the draft. Each year, on boards such as this one, fans toss out the names of 100 or so players they’d love to see drafted… only to be told something along the lines of “Yeah, but he’ll never be there when we pick at X.”

Free agency is a lot like the draft in that regard. It’s not a 100% efficient market. It’s a protean entity that assumes a life of its own and proceeds according to its own weird, internal logic. Bad players get overvalued and good players will fall through the cracks as result.

As I’ve said, I still think it’s a longshot that Mario returns. But if the Rams tell him no, then the Giants will suddenly have better than a puncher’s chance of getting him back.

It seems clear that there are several teams that see MM as a 2. MM not signing with the Rams while he’s there doesn’t mean he won’t. He’s playing his free agency more like Peyton in that regard. I know what happened with Bradshaw last year but RB is a MUCH different position right now in the NFL than WR value wise. It’s not about how many teams value MM, all it takes is one.

10. Robert Hodgesrlhjr says:

Thing is, MM is a symbiotic fit with Nicks and Cruz. They are the wonder triplets.

I think Nicks and Cruz can morph into the wonder twins if MM does depart.
    Frankly, Manningham will not do as well anywhere else. Once he learned this system, his production shot up. It’s not all about his being feed more balls.

Just as Bennett will learn, it’s not how many, but WHEN you catch them that open the eyes. Manningham’s signature moment came on the games largest stage.
    A thing of beauty second only to Lynn Swans catch in a big game environment.
    His overall success however, is linked to the attention that Nicks and Cruz demand. In turn, Nicks and Cruz benefit from the attention given to MM.

That sort of chemistry is not easily found. And you can’t force it.
    It has to develop over time. I do understand the kid wants to be paid.
    But he’s not going to get what’s jumping around in his or his agents head right now. Of course owners with money to throw around have been known to make decisions on par with 18 year olds on a Friday night.

1 2 3