New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Lands Book Deal

March 6th, 2012 at 7:00 AM
By Sean Carroll

The New York Giants found a hidden gem in wide receiver, Victor Cruz, this season. Cruz, who is now an unquestionable fan favorite, is ready to tell his tale via a book deal, courtesy of Penguin USA publishing company.

Mass Live reports that Cruz received the book deal but the contract details have yet to be finalized.

Cruz has been enjoying his newfound high celebrity status following an incredible 2011-2012 season. His touchdown dance has become an NFL staple and only helped garner more attention to the young stand-out. In fact, Cruz turned down ABC's, Dancing With The Stars, something that athletes such as, Hines Ward and (as of this coming season) Donald Driver have taken part in.

Cruz is joining his quarterback, Eli Manning (who Ralph Vacchiano wrote about following the 2006-2007 season and Super Bowl championship) and David Tyree as recent Giants who have been had books written about them in recent years.

The story of Victor Cruz should prove to be an interesting one, though, coming to be an NFL receiving leader after a slow and troubled college career. Giants 101 will provide more details as information about the book continues to emerge.

Tags: Dancing with the Stars, David Tyree, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

38 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Lands Book Deal”

1. Chad EldredChad says:

Ride the wave Victor, life is short.

In a related story, Mario Manningham lands a deal to read a book.

2.  Samardzija says:

What are the chance of Cruz being chosen as one of the three to tell the story of the 2011 Giants on Americas Game?

3.  TuckThis says:

Maybe Victor can now afford to take less in a long term deal with the Giants.

And maybe Steve Smith can come back on the cheap if Branchbrook Pools gives him his gig back!

Samardzija – a few days ago you asked about drafting the SLB from FSU (I’m forgetting his name) in the second round. To me for what we need that seems to be high though I like what I have seen from as a player. The main reason it’s too high is currently we have a good player in that position in Kiwi. Now the move that could change my stance is an Osi trade (which I’m against). Trading Osi would probably mean Kiwi is back playing DE, at least a lot more than before. This would then create a hole at SLB that would make a 2nd round draft pick a lot more necessary. Right now with Osi I just think a SLB is a middle round pick at the best.

But if we are not keeping Jacobs then we really need to keep Osi even if it’s just for 2012. I think we can lose one leader but not both.

•  Samardzija says:

Nigel Bradham he played MLB in college, but I think he can play all thre LB positions. Very versatile and might be the best coverage LB in the draft imo..

I focused on SLB because I see that as our only real need. I remember he was liek the #1 LB prospect out of HS. I think he even slightly underachieved in college. I think he’s the type of kid that could be a better pro than college player. I think we can go in so many different ways in our first 3-4 picks.

•  Emperor Norton says:

Not sure I see us taking SLB on day 2… Reese’s take on SLB has always been to look for hybrid guys (Sintim, Kiwi) who can put a hand down if they have to. We have two guys under contract who fit that mold, and I don’t see Reese wasting an early-round pick on another development project. The more interesting question is whether he thinks Goff has recovered enough to take over at MLB, or if he sees enough in Paysinger, Williams, and Herzlich for us to hold off on a LB until late on day 3. (We always seem to pick up a 5-7th round guy)

We can’t rely on Sintim or Tracy at this point. I think a player like Bradham fits becuase he’s a true LB and not a project like our other SLBs. Only Herzlich is a possible SLB, Williams and Paysinger are just WLBs. I know we don’t normally invest highly in linebackers which is why I said I think it depends on the Osi situation. No Osi means we need a SLB to play in Kiwi’s SLB position at least some of the time.

5.  giantsfan says:

Drew Brees is “livid” about being franchise tagged, and will not sign his tender.

—————

What a dbag. I hope he doesn’t sign. that ****.

•  jfunk says:

Yeah, apparently he and his agent are of the opinion that he is unquestionably the best QB in the NFL and he requires the biggest contract in NFL history. Anything less in insulting.

I’d love to him see wind up on some outdoor team with a couple mediocre guards. Then we’ll see how good he is.

I disagree with yall. This is not about if he’s the best QB it’s about if right now with this contract does he deserve the biggest contract. Brees given his age and recent performance does deserve to be paid on the top level, more than Brady/Manning current money. Remember the contract Eli got, sometimes its as much about when you are a free agent. Rodgers will end up topping what Brees gets anyways. The only question is should Brees take a “hometown discount” to help the team keep some of it’s key free agents.

6.  TuckThis says:

I’m not running a benefit for Brees anytime soon.

7.  giantsfan says:

Also, with the colts shelling out $36M over 4 years for Mathis, I am sure Osi will want similar numbers for a re-negotiation…

• Chad EldredChad says:

$17 million in first year pay. There is always one team that throws off the curve for the rest of the league. Now that the Raiders aren’t doing it, I suppose someone had to fill the void. Mathis is a nice player, but at 31 years old and the second best DE on his own team, this contract was insane. Yeah, getting rid of Bill Polian was a great move.

I agree. And if that’s the market then Osi would be smart to just play out his contract and enter free agency next year.

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

That is an insane deal for a 31-year-old. The Colts are amateurs. Luck ought to say he won’t go there if drafted (he can still go back to Stanford for another year of eligibility if he can get an NCAA waiver). Reese ought to look at that number and draft a stud pass-rusher because there’s no way he’s likely to work out something with Osi now. GOAT56 is right. If that is the new market then Osi should play like a crazy man this season and then hit free agency and leave. The Giants will need a replacement, and that will have to be Kiwi (with a big new contract and a draftee having been installed at SLB who is a great pass-rusher) or someone drafted this April who is allowed to blend in as the 4th DE as the season goes along.

The ironic thing to me is I think Mathis maybe a better 3-4 OLB. Playing him at DE with his size will always put that defense in a bad situation.

You bring up Kiwi which could be an issue. We got Kiwi for an undervalue deal last time, that won’t happen again if he stays healthy in 2012. Maybe we try to re-sign him this season. But if he hits free agency with no health concerns we could have an issue.

So I think we do draft another DE. But more importantly I think we have to draft a SLB. Kiwi can only play one of those positions even if he’s back. But with a guy like Mathis making that kind of Money I worry about Kiwi being worth a lot more than I originally thought. With guys like Nicks, Cruz, KP, Beatty, etc. also needing new deals Kiwi could become tricky.

It’s not a matter of not wanting to keep players but the NFL is designed to only keep so many good players over a long period of time.

8.  TuckThis says:

Seeing we all know that Brees singlehandly rebuilt NO ( which I’m here to tell you is far from being rebuilt) maybe all those people will kick in and give Brees a few more bucks so he won’t have to change his lifestyle!

•  giantsfan says:

haha good one.

All of New Orleans single-mothers should chip in 100 bucks per week for Brees-fund so Drew has enough money to spend. Anything less would be outrageous

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Do you live in ‘Nawlins?

•  TuckThis says:

No, but I’m down there often. We have close friends who live there.

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

True. I have an uncle who is the chief of pediatrics at Tulane and a season ticket holder for the Saints. Naturally, we don’t agree on the quality of his team.

9. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

I said it on Friday when the Hixon news broke, and I’ll say it again: we need to lock in AT LEAST 2 of Goff, Thomas, Ross and Weatherford. Preferably 3 of the 4. Weatherford is gonna be back for at least next year–and really, I think the whole franchise tag thing is only being used to give the FO time to draw up a good contract, same as they did with Jacobs a few years back– and I bet we’ll see smallish deals given to Thomas and Goff.

• Steve Smithshmitty013 says:

Franchise tag is definitely being used to give more time for a long term deal. The feeling is definitely mutual about Weatherford being here for years. When they tagged Jacobs, it only took them 12 days to come to a long term agreement. And the Giants have definitely learned the value of having a quality punter. Speaking of, I can’t believe FF55 even mentioned the name of the previous punter on the last thread. Hasn’t his name become sacrilege around here yet?

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

I know, Matt Dodge is equivalent to a curse word here, but that kid will eventually have a good career in the NFL and I suspect the team is staying in touch with him. Weatherford communicates with him regularly and I understand Feagles has worked with him a bit since he was cut.

Let me be clear. I want Weatherford here for a decade. I started saying he was one of our most critical assets halfway through the season and that Reese needed to keep him. BUT, if he ever left (looks like that isn’t an immediate risk now), the Giants would want to know where some young punters who were not in the league were hanging around, and I assume Dodge would be one of them.

I agree. I think some here think Weatherford was very good because he wasn’t Dodge. No, Weatherford play was just quality period. I still think Dodge would have been a good punter for us but Weatherford performed at a bigtime level and must be retained long term.

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

I’d go further. They need to lock up Weatherford, Goff and one of either Thomas or Ross. Off to a good start with Weatherford, but Jerry needs to get two more done. Those deals should not be that tough. Other teams aren’t going to go wild bidding for any of Thomas, Goff and Ross. Their agents should know that. Deals should get done.

I agree and to go farther I would add Devin Thomas to that group also. Thomas is valuable with his special teams play alone but his knowledge of our system and physical talents as a WR make him a must re-sign. Goff is a must if we are not re-signing Blackburn. And we only have 2 CBs under contract.

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Couldn’t agree more. I think Devin Thomas could be the breakout surprise of 2012. No one has ever questioned his potential, but his work ethic and attention to detail has been a question mark since he entered the league. He showed both on special teams this season. Perhaps he matured to the point where he can become what people expected when he was drafted.

I was just responding to kujo so didn’t mention Thomas.

10.  TuckThis says:

BTW. the Redskin players denied the bounty system existed. They just maimed people for fun! ;)

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Ha! A Redskin hasn’t “maimed” anyone since Colonel Custer’s last stand!

•  TuckThis says:

That’s funny. Nicely played. I took a bit of poetic license using “maim.” It sounded so much more vicious than hurt….lol!