CBA Blocks New York Giants’ Ability to Extend Dave Tollefson’s Contract

February 29th, 2012 at 7:16 AM

If the New York Giants wish to re-sign defensive end Dave Tollefson, they're going to have to wait until his current deal expires on March 13th and he tests free agent waters.

Because Tollefson played under a “minimum salary benefit deal” last season -a one-year contract for the veteran minimum that counts for less against the salary cap- the Giants are unable to extend or renegotiate his contract under the rules laid out in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Instead, his current deal must be allowed to expire and he must officially become a free agent before the team can reach out to him to discuss a new deal.

The Giants have expressed an interest in Tollefson returning, but he may ultimately seek an opportunity for more playing time or a bump in salary.

In 16 games last season, Tollefson had 21 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles as a reserve, although he did start two games because of injuries to other players.

Tollefson is often vastly underrated due to the incredible talent that plays around him, but as a #4 DE, he's about as valuable and talented as they come. He's spent the last five seasons with the Giants, and has contributed both on defense and special teams.

In 2011, he earned a base salary of $685,000 (plus $50,000 in incentives), but only $525,000 was held against the cap.

Tags: Dave Tollefson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

36 Responses to “CBA Blocks New York Giants’ Ability to Extend Dave Tollefson’s Contract”

1.  romu says:

Does anyone think other teams will show any interest in the man ?

• andre hollanddrizzydre says:

Absolutely. I think he’s good enough to start on a team that doesn’t have a big named DE. He played sparingly this year and still recorded 5 sacks. When a team wins a superbowl ALL of the other NFL teams are looking at that roster because they know they can’t keep everybody.

•  romu says:

He seemed suspect against the run to me.

I can see him as a situational 3rd down rushing specialist, but I doubt he can be a starter.

2. Robert Hodgesrlhjr says:

I like what Tolly offers here. He can be be counted on and is surrounded by DE all of whom are arguably franchize level if not superstar players.

I do not think he keeps left or right tackles up at night thinking about how they will they block him. I think he’s better off with Blue, and I think he knows it.

REPOST: From last thread as far as player size/strength limitations

Nor should have Jack Tatum looked the way he did (6’1? 232 lbs) in back in the early 1970?s. You cant put rules on mother nature. Just like what we have seen so far in the NFL with the inane thought process that a player can avoid hitting another player in the head, when buy instinct, EVERY player drops his head in preparation for making or absorbing a hit. Using that logic Lawrence Taylor, or Reggie White should not have been allowed on a football field either.

The overzealous protection of QBs STINKS of the formation of a CLASS system. Where being hit is against the rules…….unless you’re Eli.
    So unless football players are going to be genetically engineered, (some argue steroids amounts to the same thing) the league must invest in helmets and neck support that will properly absorb the stress and blunt force brought to bear on the player. (Both hitter and the hit)

Using some of the money gained by playing every day of the week, to fund research and development would be in order…………if the NFL really cared.
    And you will notice that dumbing down of player attributes is aimed squarely at defensive players. Ask yourself who was the last offensive player to be fined, for a LEGAL HIT?

And if the head is eliminated (artificially) as a hit zone, guess what? The knees will become the target. So we would rather end the players career via a mangled knee, than to have them concussed. Without making light of the problem, I will respectfully submitted that there is not a pro, or serious young player who has never been concussed. Exception being guys who don’t like contact. They get confused, just not at the same rate.

Protect the head and neck. Because you simply can not beat mother nature.
    AKA biological selection. But you can help “her” out by doing due diligence in find a head neck protection system. Turning the NFL into a position cloning pool would make a good SCi Fi “B” movie. And deprive us of players like JPP.
    He not supposed to do the things he can and look the way he does either.
    The Sci-Fi movie should be about the invention of a head/neck protection system that virtually eliminate head cervical spine injury for players in sports like football and hockey.

•  romu says:

Player’s strength have little to do with “mother nature”. What do they take ? I don’t know.
      As you say, if they really cared, they’d do more than just advance the kickoff 5 yards.

A 346 pounder running a 4.87 40yd isn’t something we should be excited about.

3. Robert Hodgesrlhjr says:

“Ask yourself who was the last offensive player to be fined, for a LEGAL HIT?”

HINT: Steeler wide reciever…….. initials HW

4.  jfunk says:

Regarding the concussion debate…I’m not sure it’s even possible to do anything about it. First, it’s not the actual external impact that causes the problem, it’s the rattling around of the brain inside the skull. The brain “floats” inside there, so when the skull changes direction, the brain still has momentum going the other way and bangs up against the skull. Not too sure there’s a whole heck of a lot more helmet improvements can do to eliminate that.

Also, it’s not just the “big hits” that knock a player out or “ring their bell” that are the problem. From what I understand, brain studies have shown just as much if not more damage among linemen who are constantly involved in relatively minor head bumping every play but may never have actually received a concussion. In other words, it appears to be the cumulative effect of being knocked around for years that’s most problematic, not necessarily receiving one too many knock-out blows.

I really don’t know what you can do about it without drastic changes to the game itself.

5.  The Original G Man says:

NFP: “5 prospects to do your homework on”

Spoiler alert:
    Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
    Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
    Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
    Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette
    Lamar Miller, RB, Miami

6.  The Original G Man says:

NFP’s pre-combine scouting report on Stephen Hill:

A tall, long legged wide out who has a decent get off burst for his size. Builds speed as he goes down the field and the further down the field he gets the tougher he is to run with. Showcases good body control when asked to track the football. Locates the throw well, can extend his arms and make acrobatic plays on the football. Knows how to fend off contact down the field. Is a coordinated wide out with good body control, balances himself well when asked to high point the play and can collect himself quickly to go get the football. Showcases “plus” hands at times when asked to pluck off his frame. Exhibits a large set of paws and can snatch cleanly with one hand. However, does have a tendency at times to lose concentration and will put the ball on the ground. Exhibits some wiggle to his game for a bigger receiver with the ball in his hands. Has some natural initial explosion, can change directions and make a cut at full speed, allowing him to side step a defender with the ball in his hands. Exhibits good initial quickness/power as well when asked to side-step/break a tackle in the bubble screen game and is a tough guy initially to bring down.

Isn’t a real polished route runner because of the scheme. Is asked to typically just run vertical routes where he can track/height point the football. Has been asked to work from the slot, but seemed to round off/drift in and out of his breaks. And isn’t real sharp or sudden in that area of the game. Watching his short area quickness and body control for a big guy he looks like he can certainly develop in the three-step game and has the skill set to be able to beat press coverage off the line. Is a strong blocker and will get after it in the run game. Looks like a 4.5 guy, might be able to run in the low 4.5 range and does have some burst to his game. Can physically get bigger, is tall and long limbed, and I would like to see him add a bit more girth.

Impression: Has a unique skill set, can pluck off his frame, track the football and is the next big time talent from the Georgia Tech program. Is going to need some time to develop, but can come in and track football vertically early on. Has a lot of upside to his game and skill set says he’s an NFL starter.

• Chad EldredChad says:

Hill has turned some heads. Wasn’t in an offense in college that showcased what he is capable of. Good talent.

• Chad EldredChad says:

I really like Nick Toon as well. I’m not sure where he is projected to go. He isn’t a burner, but he’s fast enough and has a good all-around game.

7.  The Original G Man says:

Per PFT, it’s estimated that the Raiders are approximately $22M over the cap. I’m curious if Kevin Boss might be a casualty …

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Interesting point.

By the way, there was an interesting piece in yesterday’s WSJ that showed that Eli’s QB rating was higher when Manningham was injured than when he wasn’t. Now, I put little faith in QB ratings, and I don’t even remember the opponents we had when Mario was out, so I wouldn’t make too much of this.

BUT, I was always convinced that Eli made Steve Smith and Plaxico Burress, not the other way around. Perhaps I’ve overrated Manningham and he is just another creature of Eli’s. I don’t think so, but time will tell.

•  romu says:

PHI1, GB, NO, NYJ.
        GB and NO were highly pass oriented games (Manning was 56/87, 753y, 5TD, 2INT) against opponent with poor pass defenses and a quarter of garbage time. The gap might be there entirely.

I think you have overrated Manningham, but not that much.

•  jfunk says:

Agreed. I wouldn’t take anything significant from those stats, but I do agree that Mario has been a little overrated (and I love the guy).

He’s got all the physical talent in the world and I think he can be a much bigger impact player in another offense.

The problem here hasn’t been that Eli doesn’t trust him to make the big play (as demonstrated by his willingness to go to him in the biggest of moments), it’s that he doesn’t trust him to be where he expects him to be. In other words, Eli has to “see the throw” before he makes it. He can’t just throw it to a spot and know that Mario will be there, he has to find him visually first.

In a different offense, that won’t be as much of a problem. Just let Mario run one of two or three different routes based entirely on pre-snap reads…no adjustments on the fly. That way his QB will know right away whether the route he is going to run will be covered or not. When the match up is right, Mario will be open because he can physically beat his man more often than not. When it’s not, the QB can move on in his progressions.

Option routes and Mario do not mix. But if the OC and QB can scheme the ball into his hands, he can make big things happen.

I think someone mentioned Boss a few weeks back too. Boss is a real possibility because we can get everything we are looking for at a good price and he knows our system. If Boss gets cut he may want to sign a 1 year deal to re-establish his value. Boss, Bennett, Chandler all make a ton of sense the way we operate and have been using our TEs. I like Carlson but I only think he’s a possible add in addition to a better blocker.

I think MM is very talented and is a big loss. But I think because of Eli he could be replaced. It seemed that for whatever reason there were too many times MM and Eli weren’t on the same page. This is not necesarily MM fault just maybe the natural chemistry was missing. I think the threat of MM is a bigger loss than his production from last year. We can replace the production just not sure if we can replace the threat MM brings as a WR.

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

I’m sticking with my sense that Mario would be a big loss. I don’t even think we’ve seen the best of him yet. But while I think his ability to stretch the field and propensity for making big catches will be sorely missed, I have so much faith in Eli that I’m going to be patient and see what Reese does to first, try to retain him, and second, try to replace his attributes, all with the confidence that Eli will find a way to make the offense work with or without Manningham.

We should all remember that Gilbride might have a tight end next season in whom he and Eli have confidence that he will regularly get open in the seams; he might have a halfback who can succeed in getting into the passing game; he might have a Devin Thomas who shows his talent in the preseason; he might have a supremely-talented rookie wide receiver; he might have an O-line working well together and fully healthy and therefore able to establish a consistent running game. Frankly, with what I expect will be a tremendous defense and a wonderful punting game, the offense will only have to be about 95% of what it was this past season to win an awful lot of games. Eli’s in the prime of a truly great career. He could exceed 2011 even without Manningham. Everything remains to be seen, but the one thing I know is that the Giants are likely to open the season as one of the handful of teams that should compete for the Lombardi Trophy, As fans, that’s all we can hope for and expect.

•  romu says:

Let’s not forget the first 15 weeks of the regular season !

We are still the same team that went 7-7, how are we “one of the handful of teams that should compete for the Lombardi Trophy” ?

•  HopLax08 says:

If you don’t know the answer to that question by now or understand why the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl,you are never going to get it. Hence why no one bothered to respond to your post. This has been discussed ad nauseum on here for 2 months.

•  romu says:

I guess this explains why there is only like 8 regular posters in the comments section …

•  HopLax08 says:

Not trying to be flip, but I don’t understand the point you are making here. Today, maybe there are 8-10 posters, but it varies day to day based on peoples schedules. On a normal day, I would say 20+ people weigh in, over the course of any week it may be 100+. Remember too that many more people read the blog than post, I am not sure what that number is, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it exceeded 100x. Personally, I have 10-15 friends and family members that read the blog daily but rarely post unless they have something unique to bring to the blog.

Anyway, I enjoy your posts and think you bring a different perspective to the blog.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The commentors represent less than 1% of the overall visitors. But on that note, we have approximately 400 people who comment at least once a month.

• Dave CoughlinFoxlin21 says:

I think Smith and Eli made each other. Smith ran precise routes and as Gilbride said was “could not be covered out of the slot” and to Eli he was his security blanket because of those precise routes, he could just turn and fire to where he is suppose to be.

As much as you argue for Manningham, he was not always where suppose to be in Eli’s eyes

8.  The Original G Man says:

Andrew Brandt says the NFL should be setting the salary cap early next week.

9.  jfunk says:

Regarding Tollefson, he could easily be gone. I suspect the Giants will offer him nothing more than another 1-yr league minimum offer.

If anybody offers him any more financial security, he pretty much has to take it. The guy hasn’t made any money yet in his career and it could be over at any time. He’s already got two rings.

Exactly. Wosi is likely gone. And he would be doing the right thing. I wish him all the best. If he returns that’s an unexpected bonus.

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Umm, putting things in perspective, even after paying agent fees the guy has made about $2MM or so for playing football. I know what you mean, but how many people of his age have a chance to make that kind of money? It’s all relative, but I suspect Tollefson is pretty pleased with the amount of bank he has at this point when plenty of his buddies have big college loans they cannot pay off.

I do agree with you that he could be gone, but more because I suspect Trattou can give us what Tollefson does at a much cheaper price. I’ve come around on Tolley. He IS a decent #4 defensive end. And his value on special teams is real. But, he’s still just a guy, and no one should lose much sleep over whether he’ll be back or not. He’s easily replaceable.

•  jfunk says:

I’m not saying Tollefson hasn’t made any money compared to his working class buddies…as you said, everything is relative.

Your $2M number looks just right…and that’s my point. In the grand scheme of NFL contracts, that’s not a big number. Some other team that could really use a #2 stop-gap /#3 DE for the next couple years could easily throw a 2yr minimum salary contract at him with a simple $1M signing bonus and he would be staring at the opportunity to nearly double his net worth even if he never signs another NFL contract again.

Because he’s made “so little” relative to big players in this league, a relatively small bonus or guarantee can significantly impact his lifetime earnings. How does a guy in his position turn down something like that?

• Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

He doesn’t. And I do not disagree with you. I just wanted to throw in that perspective. At his age I’d have been awfully happy to be in his financial position, as I assume each and every one of us would.

But I suspect he leaves and Trattou steps in, and that we’d miss Tolley more on special teams than on defense, where I think Trattou will be fine as the #4 DE (I’m assuming JR will “get it done” with Osi, as he must, but even if he doesn’t then either Kiwi will be there or a rookie will be working at that spot after being a high draft pick).

Samardzija says:
    February 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Gotta say, Im pretty unimpressed by this years TE class. Wouldnt give a single one of them a first round grade. Id take Fleener, Allen and maybe Egnew at #64. Thats pretty much it imo

I agree Charles probably doesn’t fit us. He’s not worth it at 32 and doubt he will be there at 64.

Egnew is likely not our type of TE. He looks the part but has never lined up as a legit TE. I can’t see us taking a chance on a “project” before the 3rd round and maybe the 4th. Plus the recent Tiger TEs might make teams pause on Egnew too.

I think Allen or Fleener would probably be worth or pick at 64, just not sure if they will be there.