February 25th, 2012 at 10:17 PM
By Kyle Langan

Mario Manningham may have been a magician in terms of keeping both of his feet in bounds along the sidelines during his time with the New York Giants, but he appears to have one foot out the door.

Manningham told a local paper in Youngstown Ohio that he is 75% sure he is leaving New York. Part of the reason? He wants the ball more and he doubts that as a part of the New York Giants receiving corps, even with Eli Manning as the quarterback, that he can get the ball more.

“He (Eli) is (a good quarterback), but there are a lot of good quarterbacks in this league,” Manningham said. “I just want the ball more, that’s all.”

Manningham has already headed in another direction mentally. A direction that we have seen many a player go. He has a ring, and now it is about getting paid.

“How many times have you seen a repeat?” he said.

When the Patriots were mentioned as the last NFL team to repeat (in 2004-05), Manningham said that franchise “is a different type of breed right there, different type of coaching staff then what we [have].”

He elaborated by saying that he would like to see the Giants go back to the Super Bowl, but that he wants to go with another team.

In short, Manningham did not pull any punches. Apparently the New England Patriots coaching staff is "a different kind of breed" despite getting bested by the Giants twice in Super Bowls. The two entities are apparently not on the same level.

As for Eli Manning, there are apparently "a lot of good quarterbacks out there." As understandable as it is that Mario would want to explore greener pastures, his comments are somewhat shocking.

The Giants faithful wishes him all the best, even if he doesn't share the same sentiment with us.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Mario Manningham, New England Patriots, New York, New York Giants, NFL

14 Responses to “Mario Manningham Has One Foot Out the Door; Does not Think New York Giants Can Repeat”

1.  Dirt says:

If true, wow, d|ck

Repost:

Cordy Glenn is the one OL that to me would make sense with our that reasonably could be available at 32. Adam’s looks to be a LT only due to his lack of strength. Glenn gives us depth across the line and is flexible to be our long term RG, LG or RT.But the added bonus which the combine shows is that he might have the ability to play some left tackle too.

Allen ran a poor time and clearly shows he’s not a field stretching TE. However, I recall Pettiguw running not too much better. I think Allen can still be a good NFL TE and a good Giant TE if he can block some. His 40 means there’s a good chance he’s available at 64 which might fit for us.

The lack of TE depth was really scary. It seemed that there were really no lower tier TEs that could even be a Boss or Ballard. I think guys like Kroger from Michigan or Ford from miami could be some late round options but the TE talent is lacking. Really, in our system I think guys like Bennett and Chandler might have more upside as true TEs in our system than the guys avaliable in this draft.

Wow! Could you include the quote that say he wants to win a SB with another team?

I think most of us thought this but it’s crazy for him to say it. Basically, the only way he returns is the “Bradshaw way” where there end up being no better offers. I doubt that happens because it seems like he could even take the same money to leave for more shine.

• I agree, most of us knew this was his thinking. Putting it into words…. Stings

•  jfunk says:

Well, we may have known he would leave to get more money and playing time.

These quotes sound a little more like taking shots at the Giants though, not just being a realist about making the most of his opportunity.

On the other hand, Mario isn’t exactly a genius so I could see him easily be baited into making statements that sound much more controversial than he intended.

4.  GmenMania says:

Wow. I mean I expected him to leave, but not to take shots like these. Surprising.

5. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

I’m just surprised he knew the word “breed!”

And how does one become “75% sure” of something? Does that mean that he either will leave, will leave, will leave, or POSSIBLY won’t leave?

6. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

As for the Patriots’ coaching staff “different” than ours, Mario Cashmere Manningham is correct–they are “different” in that only our coaching staff can beat the Giants. Belicheck, however, cannot.

7. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

And Chad, heed the words of GOAT56 and GIANTT. Anyone on here who takes themselves and/or their opinions as seriously as you seem to take yours doesn’t last long. FF55 is a valued member of this group, even if he does crawl up our backs with his constant slobbing on his own elderly-member (leading me to christen him the “self-gobbling contortionist”). If you disagree with him–or anyone–have it out with them, but don’t be all dickish and **** like a prepubescent Twilight fan (looking at you, Krow!).

8.  romu says:

He wasn’t gonna say “Manning is a top 3 QB, I know that wherever I go I’ll need to work with a less talented signal caller” ….

The quote about the Pats is stranger, although not false in any way.
    The Giants have been consistently inconsistent under Coughlin while the Patriots have been having a long streak of very solid seasons.
    And when you talk about repeating, you look at consistency …

Anyway, just to say that I won’t read too much into those.
    Probably just another case of a journalist asking stupid oriented questions to an unprepared football player ending up in quotes taken out of context and blown out of proportion.

You can’t win if you’re a player giving an interview. You’re going to get asked baited questions … and then your answers will be parsed out in ways to make you look … if not bad then at least controversial. That’s how some “journalists” make their money. And if you give plain vanilla answers then they bust you for that.

Remember Eli and the ‘top 5′ bit?

•  Samardzija says:

Lol exactly. I remember reading about it and then hearing the soundbytes from the interview later on and I was like wut? It is what it is though, this is the prime of Marios career. Hes not going to do much after hes finished with football, this is it for him. It would be stupid on his part to stay and be the third wideout

For sure … his one shot is now. He’s got to go for the money.

But we got 10 times our full value from the #3 pick with those two playoff catches alone … the SF TD and the bomb in the Superbowl.

Good luck Super Mario … see you on the various reunions.

10. Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Well, I guess the only intelligent response to this is thank goodness for Victor Cruz. Sounds like Mario is determined to be someone’s #1 receiver and resented Eli’s not targeting him enough. I wish the kid well, and who can blame him for wanting more money, but this makes it very tough to bring him back even if the offers he gets would have allowed Reese to compete for his services.

Thomas, Jernigan, Hixon, Clayton and Stanback must all be smiling today. They have an opportunity. And Steve Smith’s agent is probably getting Reese on speed-dial. I now assume we will draft a receiver in April to add to the mix.

Poor, dumb, Mario. He came off like a malcontent and probably scared off a couple of GMs and reduced his value by talking to a reporter. Too bad because he seems like a decent kid and his family is depending on his paycheck since he’ll earn more in the next three years than he will for the rest of his years. I hope he has a good advisor because otherwise whatever he makes will soon be gone.

I wasn’t willing to give up on signing him until now. But that doesn’t look like it’s in the cards. Too bad.