February 23rd, 2012 at 7:32 AM
By Kyle Langan

At the inception of the 2012 league year, Nike will take over uniform rights for the NFL from Reebok. It has been established that Nike will aim to have a unique look for the threads, as they have stated themselves.

Nike CEO Mark Parker says the company will tweak uniforms, but "respect the teams traditions."

"We’re actually going to have some fun, but respect the traditions of these teams at the same time,” Parker said.

The New York Giants have one of the most iconic and recognizable uniforms in sports. Considering that all logo changes must pass through the NFL and management of respective teams, do not expect things to change much about the Giants uniforms.

Most of the "fun" Nike plans on having with the new uniforms will likely come at the expense of the "third" or "alternate" jerseys of respective teams. The New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers are the league's only teams without a third or alternate jersey (currently).

The Giants have their basic blue and white home and away jerseys. The team had red jerseys as a tip of the hat to the 1950s teams but stopped utilizing them after the 2006 season.

Nike is unlikely to make very many changes to the threads of a team whose uniform and tradition has been around as long as the Giants.

One possibility is that Nike could convince the Giants to add a 3rd or alternate jersey to their collection. Perhaps a tip of the hat to the 1980s and 90s jerseys with the white pants and the "Giants" logo on the helmet.

Speaking of attire, all Giants fans should pick up the new Taylormade Giants golf hat.

Taylormade NFL GIANTS Golf Hat Message Points

• Through TaylorMade Golf’s unique NFL partnership, they are the only golf manufacturer to offer all 32 NFL team hats and visors, so fans can show their team spirit on and off the course.
  • TaylorMade Golf’s NFL Hats and Visors are:
  1. Adjustable
  2. Breathable
  3. Has UV protection of 50 UPF
  4. Has a dark under bill to reduce glare
  5. Has a moisture wicking sweatband

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Nike

22 Responses to “New York Giants Uniform Unlikely to Undergo Serious Changes at the Hands of Nike in 2012”

1.  The Original G Man says:

I always thought they looked pretty sharp when they’d wear the red “alternate” jerseys. Problem was we kept losing in them, so I say keep ‘em in the closet.

Also, I hate most “throwback” uniforms. Green Bay and the Jets in particular look completely stupid in them.

•  jfunk says:

I really liked the reds too. Thought they looked great.

I believe it was Eli that put a stop to them after we lost a couple consecutive division games in them. Stitious.

2. Jim StollJim Stoll says:

I actually hate the current Giants jerseys, especially the away jerseys.
    I loathe the grey pants in particular.
    I am not fond of the emphasis on red trim on the whites.

I would like to see a return to white pants and the elimination of the red trim so that the uniforms looked more like the 70′s

3.  jfunk says:

I’ll tell you one thing I like about the Giants current uniforms. Eli Manning’s ridiculously enormous helmet. I don’t know if it’s any better at protecting against concussions or not, but it certainly helps him maintain his positive public perception in regards to his physical appearance. Way to embrace the image, Eli.

4.  Francis Garofalo says:

Anyone know what happened to the 1930′s throwback we were supposed to wear this year?

I can’t find any pictures but I believed it had a Michigan-esqe helmet.

I know the Giants equiptment staff was extremely tight lipped about it

THe NFL is like that old joke … the punchline being … “I know what you are … we’re just haggling price …”

Here’s where we’re headed …

Like I say, just haggling price.

•  jfunk says:

Man, those are insane. I certainly hope not, and I don’t really think it will happen. Not that the NFL wouldn’t put advertisements on the uniforms, but I don’t think they’d let them dominate like they do on those.

I don’t think the NFL has the security of soccer. Soccer is far more ubiquitous and engrained across the planet than american football. They’ve done an amazing job of building the NFL brand, but I doubt they lack understanding of just how tenuous their position really is (which is why they work in such draconian fashion to protect that brand).

The reality is the NFL could very easily slip away, back into obscurity, in as little as a decade if things don’t go well for them. The “aura of invincibility” is important to their brand. Making a Budweiser logo bigger than the team logo on the uniforms would hurt that brand too dramatically.

•  Longshanks says:

Sponsorship is not nearly as bad as the fact that every season soccer jerseys have subtle (sometimes drastic) changes in uniform season to season and yet still charge their fans $100+ for a new replica.

6.  The Original G Man says:

I guess I’m in the minority. I like the current road uniforms. I was real glad when they got rid of the blue v-necks on them. Thought that looked stupid.

7.  Grateful Giants says:

I’ve been begging since I started on this blog for the 80s gear. Bring it on.

Anything that relates/makes a person think about the madness that was the giants during the LT years needs to be continued.

I was convinced, and convincing people at the falcons playoff game, that the giants were coming out of that tunnel in their 80s gear.

Its time. Lets go.

8.  The Original G Man says:

Bad news for Dallas, from PFT:

“As Laurent Robinson signed a one-year deal under the minimum salary benefit that entailed a significantly lower cap number, he can’t sign a new deal with the Cowboys before the free-agent market opens.

This means that Robinson is required to become a free agent. And it creates an unusual chess match for the Cowboys. If they tip their hand about Robinson’s value, his agent can then shop those numbers to other teams.”

9.  The Original G Man says:

Jack Bechta: “Five Things at the NFL Combine You Won’t See On TV”

~~~~

Mike Garafolo: “Giants topics to watch as the NFL Scouting Combine gets underway”

~~~~

Andrew Brandt: “Combine Confidential”