February 15th, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The recovery story of New York Giants safety Chad Jones continues to be one for the ages. Not only did the former LSU standout pass a physical on Monday (not the Giants' preseason physical, which he is scheduled to take this offseason), but Big Blue has enough faith in him and his progress to lock him up for another two years keep him around by restructuring his final two years.

That's not the end of the good news for Jones. Jade Newman, Jones' girlfriend, also said that Jones has been medically cleared by his personal physician to play without any restrictions. He's expected to report in April for offseason training, which is when he'll likely take the Giants' preseason physical.

Jones was involved in a horrific car crash that nearly cost him his life in June of 2010, shortly after being drafted by the Giants in round three (76th overall) of the NFL Draft. He's been recovering ever since and has, obviously, made some tremendous strides in recent months. He was with the team on the sidelines for Super Bowl XLVI and will receive a championship ring.

UPDATE: Contrary to the WWLTV report (citing Jade Newman), Ralph Vacchiano reports that Jones did not sign a two-year contract extension, but did restructure his final two years and remains signed through 2013. This will lower his base salary about $100K each year over the reaming two years.

Tags: Chad Jones, Football, LSU, New York, New York Giants, NFL

Short URL:

32 Responses to “Report: New York Giants’ Chad Jones Cleared to Play by Personal Doctor, Restructures Final Two Years”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    February 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Good stuff. We have had so many great stories lately that something tells me that Jones can at least give us a Martin type contribution. I know the odds aren’t in his favor but that 4.84 is really impressive everything considered. He had another 8 months from that time to improve. We expect ACL people to recover in about that time so why can’t Jones get back to an NFL level. This is another example of forward thinking by JR. I don’t think JR signs him if he feels like Jones can’t contribute.

2.  wlubake says:

Vacchiano is pumping the brakes on this story some:

Ralph Vacchiano@TheBlueScreenReply

For all those asking, S Chad Jones did not sign a two-year contract extension with the Giants. He was always under contract through 2013. He did restructure the final two years of the deal, though, lowering the base salaries by about $100K per year. But as @TomRock_Newsday noted Jones still hasn’t passed team physical. His rehab will continue when #NYG offseason program opens April 16.

•  wlubake says:

Sounds like the girlfriend was talking about stuff she didn’t fully understand. So, Chad’s non-Giants doctors have cleared him. He’s given up some cash to stick with the team for 2 more years. He’ll give the Giants’ physical a go this summer and hope to be in training camp.

Still impressive for Jones and impressive for the Giants to stick by him.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

This is why you keep your girlfriend away from the press. Just ask Tom Brady.

•  giantsfan says:

Yeah good for him and good for the NY Giants.

Though when you say, he’s given up some cash to stick with the team makes it seem like he’s being self-less haha. I don’t think any other team will give him an opportunity at this point.

3.  Dirt says:

@TheBlueScreen: For all those asking, S Chad Jones did not sign a two-year contract extension with the Giants. He was always under contract through 2013

4. Chad EldredChad says:

If the 4.71 time is accurate that’s pretty impressive. Being medically cleared without restrictions is huge as well. He’s climbing a steep hill, but he still has a shot. My advice to him would be to practice long-snapping. A good long-snapper can stick around the league for a long time. That would give him an opportunity to make a roster and work his way on to the field somewhere even if things don’t work out in NY.

5.  giantsfan says:

After watching “a bunch of tape” on Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict recently, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock believes Burfict is not worth a first-round pick in April’s draft.
    “I’m not a fan at all,” said Mayock. “I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day. I came away unimpressed.” Mayock said he tried to filter out Burfict’s off- and on-field behavioral issues and graded him strictly off game tape. “His instincts aren’t good,” Mayock observed. “He gets enveloped by bigger bodies and he runs around blocks. I don’t see first round at all.”

•  BigBlueGiants says:

If Burfict is sitting there at 32, he’ll not only be the best player available, but will solve our MLB woes and be the next big time MLB in this league.

Mayock is smoking rock.

His stock is really fallen. I’m not sure he solves our MLB woes if he’s not good in coverage. I’m fine with the Goff (if healthy & re-signed)/Herzlich combination going forward.

His stock has definitely fallen. If Bmore doesn’t take him he could fall quite a bit since there are also character concerns. But he does have the combine to pump life back in his stock.

•  BigBlueGiants says:

His stock has fallen due to being OVERAGGRESSIVE on the field and getting unnecessary penalties. That is something that he’ll learn to control. He’s a beast and he will make every team that passes on him regret it.

He’s a good kid off the field, Not a thug trouble maker.

I have heard legitimate football questions before Mayock. His tackle numbers are very low for a player of his talents. There’s a reason why many are projected him to the ravens way down at #28. I don’t know who’s right or not I just know he’s been falling and easily could be a second round pick. I really don’t think we need him. A Witherspoon type MLB would be more attractive to me. But I think some are forgetting Goff was becoming a good MLB. Herzlich also looked promising. At that position I want a player at an impact position or a player at a need position. I don’t think Burfict fits either.

With this Jones story and if we re-sign TT I don’t see Grant coming back unless an injury occurs. I think TT if he makes the team is a special teams player only next year and TT replaces either Rolle’s nickel position (while Rolle moves to Grant’s) or Grant’s nickel position. I think there’s a strong possibility Prince is a starting CB in 2012 even if TT or Ross is re-signed.

•  jfunk says:

Grant wasn’t looking too good for finding a job last year until the injuries decimated our DBs.

I think he may retire unless a similar situation happens.

7.  jfunk says:

I just have to comment on the “small-ball” talk the past couple threads.

Some of you may have missed it, but the Giants just got done winning a Super Bowl by playing better small-ball than one of the best small-ball teams in the game.

You’re right but I still don’t think it was our strength. I think we were just the more talented team and eventually it showed. But going forward to 2012 especially without Ballard and likely MM it’s going to be harder unless we have some additions and players step up.

•  Dirt says:

That’s what I was trying to say jfunk. But I was sitting in the back of a car going 90 in a 50 on a windy highway. Hard to stay upright, let alone type coherently.

8.  norm says:

Sorry, BBG… but based on everything I’ve seen (not a lot) and read (quite a bit) I want nothing to do with Burfict.

Dude has bust written all over him.

In the games I watched him play, I saw a player whose lack of discipline and football smarts led to multiple 15 yard penalties that continually cost his team. Worse yet, he showed no coverage skills and little aptitude for diagnosing plays and taking good angles to the ball carrier. Since watching him play, I’ve read more than a few reports which suggest that the repeated efforts of Dennis Erickson and the ASU staff to coach him out of his bad habits fell on deaf ears.

Everything I’ve seen and read leads me to the conclusion that Burfict is this year’s Taylor Mays. A player who made his rep more as a hard hitter rather than as a heady football player. That was the impression I got when watching Burfict play – someone who prefers to head hunt and blow someone up rather than taking care of business and making the effective yet unspectacular play. That was May’s rep as well coming out of USC. And I seem to recall a lot of pretty smart posters here insisting that Mays was better than that. Two years and 48 total NFL tackles later, it appears that he is not.

Mayock is a pretty sharp dude when it comes to this kind of thing. Sure, he’s not always right but in this case his observations on Burfict seem in line with my own conclusions. Let him be someone else’s problem.