The recovery story of New York Giants safety Chad Jones continues to be one for the ages. Not only did the former LSU standout pass a physical on Monday (not the Giants' preseason physical, which he is scheduled to take this offseason), but Big Blue has enough faith in him and his progress to
lock him up for another two years keep him around by restructuring his final two years.
That's not the end of the good news for Jones. Jade Newman, Jones' girlfriend, also said that Jones has been medically cleared by his personal physician to play without any restrictions. He's expected to report in April for offseason training, which is when he'll likely take the Giants' preseason physical.
Jones was involved in a horrific car crash that nearly cost him his life in June of 2010, shortly after being drafted by the Giants in round three (76th overall) of the NFL Draft. He's been recovering ever since and has, obviously, made some tremendous strides in recent months. He was with the team on the sidelines for Super Bowl XLVI and will receive a championship ring.
UPDATE: Contrary to the WWLTV report (citing Jade Newman), Ralph Vacchiano reports that Jones did not sign a two-year contract extension, but did restructure his final two years and remains signed through 2013. This will lower his base salary about $100K each year over the reaming two years.
- Be sure to "like" Giants 101 on Facebook and to follow Giants 101 on Twitter
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Purchase your Super Bowl XLVI gear through Giants NFL Shop
- Get your tickets to All In: A Super Bowl Champion Show
- Get your very own "GMEN" t-shirt (as seen on Michael Strahan at the Super Bowl XLVI ceremony)
No related posts.