New York Giants’ Cornerback Terrell Thomas Has Begun Agility Drills

February 14th, 2012 at 9:16 PM
By Kyle Langan

Recently, New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas discussed how he and the Giants organization were "on the same page" with regards to resigning for the 2012 season and beyond.

Thomas tore his ACL in a preseason game against the Chicago Bears at the inception of his contract year with the team. In 2010, Thomas was a very productive player for the defense, recording 108 tackles, five interceptions, and four forced fumbles. If totally healthy, he is an absolute asset to any defense, particularly the Big Blue defense.

On February 8th, Thomas began running at full speed. Tuesday, Thomas worked on some agility drills that displayed significant progress in his rehab process.

Thomas has reiterated on a number of occasions that his goal is to be ready to play come week one of the 2012 season.

Hopefully it will be with New York.

Tags: Chicago Bears, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

15 Responses to “New York Giants’ Cornerback Terrell Thomas Has Begun Agility Drills”

He’s been doing the “I’m OK and a Free Agent, so pay me lots of money” agility drills. His agent says he’s doing amazingly well, and has declared him fit and ready for a huge contract.

Now don’t get me wrong … I hope he recovers 100% and gets right back on the field. He’s a fine player and a good citizen.

But you really have to take these reports with a rather large grain of salt.

2. Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

A few things.

First, that is an impressive look at Thomas doing a drill. Bodes well for him being ready at the start of the season. Keep in mind, though, that he has not passed a team physical yet and probably won’t be ready to do so until April rolls around. Also keep in mind that, as I noted about a month ago, the percentage of “active” people who tear an ACL twice, continue their activity, and then tear it again, is roughly 30%. I assume that TT was operated on by the very best surgeons who have done thousands of knee procedures and ACL reconstructions, and part of the future risk factor depends upon whether the replacement material was taken from Thomas himself or a cadaver. Let’s be optimistic and say he only has a 20% risk of another ACL injury. That’s still a real risk.

I want Thomas back on the Giants, all things being roughly equal. But what would Reese do if Thomas wants $24MM for 3 years with $15MM guaranteed and Ross will sign for $15MM for 3 years with $10MM guaranteed? Ross is healthy, although older. Thomas is clearly the better player. But with Amukamara playing a full season the Giants will be relatively strong at the corner and could well afford to have Ross as the #3 corner and be in excellent shape. Is Thomas worth the risk and the extra money? What if giving him that money means there isn’t any possibility of even taking a shot at retaining Manningham and that Osi HAS to be traded? These are not easy questions and there aren’t easy answers.

I love Thomas. I loved it when they picked him. I thought, and still do, that he could easily become a swing guy who could play corner or safety and would be perfect in nickel and dime sets as a guy who could cover any receiver from a wideout to a tight end. I would, as I assume we all would, like him in Blue next season. I just don’t know if we can manage to retain him and get everything else we need, and I DO think Ross is a very viable option. It will be interesting to watch this situation. If we DO have TT then I think we have the best combo of corners around with Webster, TT and Amukamara, with great depth as well. And with Phillips, Rolle and Sash all certain to be back, Derrick Martin likely to be and even Deon Grant possibly returning, having Thomas as possible safety depth too would make this defensive backfield ridiculously good.

Now, the O-line. I think everyone now knows that Beatty is an excellent pass protector. And I think everyone is pretty happy with Snee despite his having a slightly down year in 2011. So the questions are really about LG, C, and RT. And I think everyone agrees that we have a number of players who are, at minimum, excellent depth players across the entire line.

David Baas was a very good center in college and I know for a fact that Jim Harbaugh (who is GREAT at developing offensive lineman….look what he left behind at Stanford) HATED losing Baas. I have to believe that at full health he will be just fine. Yes, it’s not based on evidence we’ve seen, but I’m going to take harbaugh’s opinion over any of ours.

At LG we have Boothe, Petrus and Diehl as immediate alternatives. Some may think that Boothe isn’t a quality starter, that Petrus is not good enough in pass protection, and that Diehl cannot get leverage any longer to make the run game work. I think that is assuming too many negatives. I saw Boothe stone Vince Wilfork in the Super Bowl. I saw Boothe make the left side of the line stronger both in 2010 and this past season. I saw Petrus dominate guys in front of him in the run game even when he wasn’t doing a good job of picking up looping rushers. I saw Diehl play better every year over the past four than almost everyone around Giants 101 thought he would. I certainly cannot say that the Giants don’t need upgrades over the next few years. But I think a much better Baas, a healthy Diehl, a well-coached Petrus, a heavier Beatty, and a maturing Brewer WILL be upgrades either immediately or in time. I also think Pat Flaherty is adept at taking guys who were not college stars and making them into excellent offensive linemen (just look at O’Hara and Seubert and Diehl, none of whom were highly sought and one of whom was an UDFA). He’ll have at least a few more draft picks with whom to work over the next year or two.

I just do not see the O-line as a massive problem. I’ll be the first to admit if I’m wrong, but I said the same thing the past two years and they wound up with the Lombardi this season and it simply WASN’T all Eli. The O-line did very well protecting him, and in the last six games of the season they helped get that running game going again too.

3.  Dirt says:

Thomas fills Rolle’s role. Rolle fills Grant’s role. Webster, Ross and Amukamara take the outside. An embarassment of riches. (Assuming TT is healthy and they’re all back.)

4.  Remy says:

I think the last season with all it’s injuries proved that it’s worth stockpiling talent in the secondary…

5. Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

Dan, when are you going to change the Giants’ record to 13-7? Doesn’t that last one count? They for whatever reason handed over a trophy for that one.

6. Abbott Stillmanfanfor55years says:

By the way, concerning the O-line, just in case anyone isn’t aware of this the average yards gained on the ground by the Giants over their last eight games, seven of which they won, was 111 yards. And that’s combined with a devastating passing game that was nearly unstoppable.

I just don’t think people who are super-critical of the O-line ever got past that lousy early season period when they had to get used to position and personnel changes (and when Bradshaw was injured). The line acquitted itself quite well in the most important part of the season.

• Jacob NathansonBBSCalledItAfterWeek8 says:

+1 people dont understatnd how hard o line is it has to be perfect cohision like a dance imagin trying to learn a dance routein with 5 people when every other week someone has to be replaced and learning the whole number now same thing with the o-line but multiply that difficulty by say 10x throw in eli’s aduibles and blitz pick up awarness

7.  vincent says:

NFC East cap situations.

We have to find $7.25M in the next 4 weeks.

The salary cap is real … and it’s a fact of life in the NFL.

But it can be managed. It’s more like a bowl of jello than a brick. You need to nudge and finesse it. You can’t nail it to the wall … but you can kinda shape it to your liking.

And as we’ve seen proven again and again, teams can’t absorb more than a couple/three key, big-ticket free agents. More and you have no chemistry. *cough* Eagles *cough*

I’ll go all predictor now … and bet that we don’t sign one starter quality free agent … and that includes TE, where at best we may pick up a bargain ‘guy’. Nothing on the scale of a Canty, Rolle or Baas.

Our priority will be signing our own … and that’s going to be a b-tch.

9. Tony MaceroliBlueSince60 says:

I believe our OL is pretty good, but not great. I will cite a couple of examples of why I think there are at least a few issues that need to be resolved.

In the two biggest games of the year, our OL performed poorly, and then woke up in time to just do enough in the SB. While SFs defense is one of the best in the league, you can’t just concede that and move on. Like this year, we will face them once for sure, and possibly again in the playoffs. Other than one drive, we really couldn’t move the ball at all, and Eli took a terrible beating. He stood up to it, yes, but those hits eventually take their toll.

In the SB, we were extremely susceptible to the outside blitz, as we were in the NFC title game. We did better on the interior, but we had a couple of drives stopped by sacks and penalties. We moved the ball inside the 20′s, but had trouble when we got close and had to settle for field goals. That game was much closer than it should have been, and even though we dominated time of possession, we were one big play away from being on the wrong end of the score.

As FF55 mentioned, the running game averaged 111 YPG during the stretch run. Good, but not great. In past years, we would have seen that 7 man front from NE, and run them into the ground. We were barely adequate running the ball in the super bowl, and we are NOT a dink and dunk offense. We held the ball a lot, but we are not built to consistently face a long field, and try to advance in small chunks. We are going to see more of those two-deep sets in the future to try and limit our big plays, unless we can be more consistent in the run game.

There are a lot of variables that need to be taken into account, and you or I don’t really have all of the information on the true extent and severity of injuries and their effects. But these are the observations I’ve made, and the issues I believe need to be resolved.

Beatty is a pretty good pass blocker. Definitely quicker feet than Diehl on the outside. I’m a big Diehl fan. He’s a battler, and we’ve now won two SBs with him at left tackle, but we could/should do better. With Beatty on the outside, and Diehl at LG, the running game stunk. By his own admission, Diehl was a little down at the beginning of the season because he was moved out of the LT position. Beatty needs to get bigger/stronger, and it’s hard to judge how much Baas’ difficulties affected Diehl’s play on that side. Baas was hurt all year. I think Snee was too. mcKenzie just cannot handle the speed rush any more. I can’t objectively say he was more than barely adequate this year.

So there are lots of questions that the from office and coaches need to answer this off season. Here’s how I think it will go. If the FO thinks we have a big problem, we WILL see a free agent acquisition. Reese typically does not like to into into a season with a glaring weakness. See the Rolle and Baas acquisitions. If not, then we might see a depth acquisition, like the Andrews brothers.

If we don’t make a big FA acquisition, then I believe this gets addressed in the draft. I don’t believe that we will reach for an OL, or change our BPA philosophy, but I do believe that the need factor gets a little more weight. So if a couple of players are close in ability, then need becomes the deciding factor. If we pick an OL in the first or second round, then it’s not a crisis, but we definitely need someone to be able to step in as a backup this year, and take a starting position next.

If we just pick a BPA in the fourth or lower rounds, then Reese believes the solution is on the roster already. We’ve seen this scenario play out before.

Diehl is actually pretty cheap. He’s a versatile OL starter. Granted if he loses his job then it all changes. But paying $4 mil for a starter … with 2 Superbowl rings … isn’t particularly expensive. The notion that he’s overpaid is really a myth.