New York Giants’ Brandon Jacobs Discusses Future of Plaxico Burress

January 31st, 2012 at 6:53 PM
By Sean Carroll

Media Day was a circus, as always, as the New York Giants threw themselves at the mercy of the media this afternoon. There were all kinds of questions asked to the Giants elite, with full podiums for Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin, Victor Cruz, Hakeem  Nicks, Ahmad Bradshaw, Justin Tuck, and several others.

Another Giants player who spoke at a podium today was running back, Brandon Jacobs. In addition the usual Super Bowl and match-up questions, Jacobs also was asked about his former teammate, Plaxico Burress, who played with the New York Jets following his release from prison.

Jacobs and Burress are close friends and apparently speak often, so when asked about the former Giants receiver, Jacobs had a lot to offer up.

As reported by ESPN.com New York, Jacobs believes that Burress wanted to return to the Giants instead of the Jets, saying:

"Oh, no question, I know he did. I know he wanted to come to the Giants. We just didn't think it was going to be able to be done financially. But he may be (back) next year, who knows?"

This was seemingly the result of the different financial packages offered to Burress. The  Jets simply offered more guaranteed money, which sealed the deal for Burress.

However, with Burress under a one-year contract, he will have his chance to reevaluate his options this off-season and see if there is a better destination for him. As previously noted, Jacobs believes it’s possible that Burress returns to the Giants.

Jacobs went on to explain:

"I don't see him back with the Jets next year at all … I don't know what he's thinking, but I don't see that. They've got a lot of things going on over there, and I don't know if he wants to be part of that."

When asked why he believes Burress will not return to the Jets next year, Jacobs took a quick jab at the Jets offense, noting:

"I don't see him there due to (the limited) success he had last year, and I don't think it had anything to do with him … And I'll leave it at that."

Whether Burress returns to the Giants or goes elsewhere, the Jets locker room issues are likely to drive away a number of players who may see greener grass elsewhere in the NFL. As for a return to the Giants, one can only speculate on what that receiving corps would look like.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, Eli Manning, Football, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Plaxico Burress, Tom Coughlin, Victor Cruz

14 Responses to “New York Giants’ Brandon Jacobs Discusses Future of Plaxico Burress”

1.  Gregory Diamond says:

We don’t want Burrass, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the prognosticator of what has taken place in the Jet locker room. He is Lazy and care about nothing but himself, for the Giants it has and always will be about team. BTW Brandon, don’t let the door hit you on the way out!!

2.  Dirt says:

Here’s my 2 yen:

Brady throwing to Gronkowski, Hernandez and Welker is more impressive than any QB/receiver combo the Giants have faced since the Saints game. And before that, the Pats game.

I didn’t say anything before the Falcons game because I expected to win against a very average team. Secondary shut them down.

I said before the Packers game that you’d never pluck one of their receivers to start your team if you had access to the entire league. Secondary shut them down.

I was initially worried about the 49ers, more defensively, but I said that the 49ers receivers were far worse than the Packers’ crew. Secondary shut them down.

Well, I just feel like Brady throwing to his guys are just a whole lot better than anything since NO.

Giants were fortunate to win that game in November. Fortunate to force two early turnovers, fortunate to have a pretty good kicker miss a field goal, fortunate to hold them scoreless in the first half.

Sure, the Giants offense is multiples better than that day when Nicks and Bradshaw and Hynoski and Baas were out. Of course that changes the game.

But the Patriots sport a dumpster fire of a defense, yet can put up points in bunches no matter the size of the hole they’re in.

Assuming the Giants defense allows the offense to jump out to a lead, Gilbride can’t have one of those games where he scores some early points then goes into conservative mode. Has to keep the pedal down all night long.

The Pats have allowed 5 sacks in a game twice since 2007. Once in Super Bowl XLII, once thereafter. The trend there is that they do a good job of keeping him upright. Believe me, I know he feels pressure and it’s more than sacks, but let’s be honest – it’s hard to get hits on him. Especially when he can dump off to guys like Welker (130 catches).

I feel confident, but I don’t think this is a clear cut favorite we’re rooting for. I think this is a very close matchup, and I would have taken a game against the Ravens all day every day. The Ravens who didn’t score a point in the final 47 minutes of a home playoff game in which a rookie 3rd string QB gave them the ball over and over. The Ravens who couldn’t put up 30 against the alleged worst defense to ever make a Super Bowl.

This Pats team is good. It’s going to take an exemplary performance to beat them. The Giants have the talent to pull it off, no question. Despite being called a Debbie Downer earlier today, I’ve been confident in the talent on this team all along. After the lockout, I said the Giants had the talent to be a 12 win team. By the end of the preseason, I said 11 wins. Them being here doesn’t surprise me. They can certainly win the game. They *should* win the game.

But this is professional sports. Sometimes it doesn’t happen.

•  Dirt says:

Oh, and since the conversation ’round here has varied between bashing talking heads for bashing the Giants and no conversation at all, I felt like outlining some contrarian points of view for discussion. Flame suit on.

Lol. I disagree though. GBs bunch is better to me. Just because we stopped them don’t forget how good they were. Jennings, Nelson, Finley is comparable to the Pats top 3 and their other weapons and running backs are more impressive to me. The Pats OL is better though.

Part of my confidence is I think this Pats team is just not very good. Brady is great as are the TEs but I think a good defense can slow them down.Then with Gronkowski looking at least not 100% I just can’t help being confident.

3.  JaredL says:

The key to this SB win might just be Brandon Jacobs. I can just see Bellick challenging the Giants to run the ball. Jacobs is a guy I wanted to see go in a trade 12 weeks ago. Now watch. Watch him have a big game against the Patriots. Either way, it might be his last game as a NY Giant.

4. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

I’ll tell you one thing–if I’m Julian Edelman, I am loving all the hate Mario, Cruz and the rest of the Giants are throwing at him. I’ve been saying it for weeks–our guys are talking WAAAAAY too much sh-t, and you know eventually that is gonna bite them in the a$s. Watch Edelman have some big plays on Sunday.

•  norm says:

Meh.

I seem to recall these exact same sentiments being expressed just prior to the GB and SF games. The lads were talking sh!t then and people here were worried about it.

Of course, since the Giants went on to win those games, the fact that they were talking sh!t beforehand is now nothing more than a footnote. Should they go on to lose to the Pats, then all the trash talking will become a big part of the accepted post game narrative. You know the Pats players will be thumping their chests about it and I’m sure those sentiments will be picked up and echoed in the media.

But, win or lose, it’s still a non-story… just as it was a non-story before and after the Packer and Niner games. Look: Even if all the trash talk fires up Edelman to the point where he can reach down and summon up the fire to be 110% of the best player he can be… that’s still 110% of very average. It’s not going to magically transform him into Darelle Revis. Maybe – if he’s really, really lucky – he’ll pump himself up somewhere into the neighborhood of Antonio Cromartie. I’ll take my chances with that.

But, seriously, has it really reached the point to where people are fretting about the damage that Julian Freakin’ Edelman might cause? My goodness, at this rate, Mark Freakin’ Anderson will be morphing into Reggie White by Thursday.

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

I’m not concerned that Edelman is going to hurt us. My problem, as you well know, is that this team seems to be becoming pretty talkative. And talkative teams that have success tend to get their comeuppance in big situations.

5. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

And another thing, which is a repost from last thread:

kujo says:
    January 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    This need to cast ourselves as the paschal lamb in the Passion of the Super Bowl is just retarded. We’re in the g0ddamn SUPER BOWL! Who cares what this guy or that guy is saying? You think the moronical vaginating of Skip Bayless or some other idiot means anything? Who cares?!

The sh*theads who talk sh*t still do so to their own embarrassment.

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Jacobs said it best today when someone asked him about the Giants being 3 point dogs in the spread: “We’re not underdogs…that’s just Vegas.”

6.  JaredL says:

Matthew,

Isn’t “retarded” a politically incorrect word. Some liberals might think so.

I have to say, this is the quietest I have seen this website. Maybe this is what happens when we have nothing about which to complain. It is either that or we are all really busy at the office.

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Jared,

You don’t know me, but if you did, you’d know that I am one of the least PC people in the world.

Oh, and tell your alterego I say hi :)

7. Dave CoughlinFoxlin21 says:

Cruz and MM can talk all the sht they want about Edelman, they aren’t going to talk him into being a good CB. They are stating the obvious, he is not a corner and will take advantage of that.

Since losing to us, the Pats faced the following QB’s and even they exposed Edelman and the rest of their suspect secondary; Grossman, Young, Fitzpatrick, Sanchez, Flaco, Tebow, Painter, Moore, and Palko.

Yes that got Chung and Mayo back and the arguement is they have been playing better, but again. Since returning they have been playing better against garbage QB’s.

I expect the initial cat and mouse game between Belicheck and Coughlin but it’s only a matter of time before Eli eats this D up. Ballard back healthy is something not many have been talking about. If the Pats bracket Cruz and Nicks that will leave Beckum and Ballard open over the middle all day against the Pats slow LB’ers