January 18th, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Although his contract is expiring at the end of the season and a large payday could potentially be on the horizon despite tearing his ACL, Terrell Thomas has no interest in testing the free agent market and fully anticipates being a member of the New York Giants next year.

"I haven’t been shy about saying I definitely want to return. I planned on signing a new contract with them this season so my mind was already made up. I wasn’t one of those guys who was going to go into free agency and see what’s out there … Everyone from the GM to the owners have reassured me that they want me back and want to get a deal done that suits both parties and I definitely believe that we can get that done in the near future," Thomas said.

Thomas' proclamation sounds eerily similar to one that was made a year ago by wide receiver Steve Smith, who ultimately signed a one-year deal with NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles. It also comes after a October comment in which he hinted his days is New York could be coming to an end if he doesn't get offered a deal he feels is fair.

“Honestly? I felt like I was a free agent as soon as I had the surgery,” Thomas said. “I love the Giants. I would love to stay there. But I know this is a business, and I have to put myself in a position to take care of myself. You only get to sell yourself once."

The good news is that Thomas ran for the first time since tearing his ACL in late September against the Chicago Bears and suffered no setbacks. His rehab remains on schedule, and should the Giants re-sign him, he'll be near 100% by the time the preseason begins.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith, Terrell Thomas

29 Responses to “Terrell Thomas not Interested in Testing Free Agent Waters, “Definitely” Wants to Return to Giants”

1. Well, this is a nice way to start my day.

Interviewed TT last year and he could not be a more down to earth guy. Couple that with his on-field abilities, and he’s a must-have. Pair this bona fide shutdown corner with Corey Webster while the sophomore Amukamara plays a true nickel and you’ve got the makings of a great secondary with Kenny Phillips and, yes, despite his flaws, Antrel Rolle.

All this basically goes to say that I wish Aaron Ross well and hope some team out there ponies up a good contract for his services. He’s given the Giants everything he had (remember when he laid out Marion Barber in 2007 with his bum shoulder?) despite a string of injuries. He won’t necessarily be missed but I wish him well.

But man, picture that secondary, with our defensive line and a linebacking corps anchored by Michael Boley and Jacquian Williams. Man that’s a scary defense.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a DB taken in the first few rounds of the draft either.

If I had to read the tea leaves on Ross I’d say that there’s at least a team or two that will offer him ‘starter money’. He almost has to take it. But wherever he goes they’ll be expecting a shut-down corner, and that’s not him. There’s going to be a lot of disappointment and fan outrage. I don’t think it ends well … but it’s virtually unavoidable.

Demo is probably right about McKenzie. He’s been a good player, but it’s time. He’ll be 34 and will want $4-5 million. Not happening.

• I feel like Ross and Manningham are surely in the same boat. They’ll be pretty close to the top of the free agent class and given what else the Giants have at both of those positions Jerry won’t even be a real player and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more than a team or two in pursuit of both of these guys.

One thing I’ll say about Ross, despite his flaws, he doesn’t get burned. He gives too big a cushion and can get picked on, but he’s not the kind of scrub you see continually chasing receivers from behind on big plays.

As for McKenzie, I could see that one going either way mostly depending on how the rest of the Giants O-line shakes out. If they draft an OT early (or decide to kick Diehl out there) McKenzie might be done, but if the big guy doesn’t get much interest on the free agency market I could see the Giants signing him to a one-year deal for ballpark of $4 million.

3. As for the draft, I don’t really see the need to spend a premium pick on a CB (although I don’t doubt Jerry would take one if the value presented itself [can you say "Pothead Draft-Stock Freefall" for Dre Kirkpatrick?!]).

But if the Giants have their top-3 in C-Web, TT and Prince, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Giants give Brian Witherspoon, Michael Coe and Justin Tryon a chance to get healthy and play reserve roles. Each one of those guys played well when called upon. Throw in a couple late-round picks, undrafted free agents and perhaps a cheap, veteran signing and I’d rather spend my premium picks on OL, MLB, DT, TE, S or perhaps even RB.

I know it’s preposterously early (and, by that I mean it’s never too early) to start teasing myself with mock drafts, but I’ve seen two already that had us taking Dont’a Hightower, which made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Haz? Samard? Anybody want to share their thoughts on Hightower?

4.  jfunk says:

Anybody know where I can get an audio copy of the JPP and back to Cali songs?

•  The Original G Man says:

jfunk:

There’s websites that will strip the audio from any youtube video and convert it to mp3. That’s what I did for “Down with JPP”

5. Jim StollJim Stoll says:

if TT is healthy for next season we obviously want him back, and it sounds like he wants to stay
    win-win

•  jfunk says:

I’m not sure it will be possible to know whether or not he’s ever going to be the same for quite some time.

6.  TuckThis says:

TT is one of my faves. Great player. Great guy. Articulate. Smart! Stay TT!

7. Tony MaceroliBlueSince60 says:

Have to be careful with TT recovering from injury, as well as a few others. I would expect that we try to sign Ross, since you need at least three good corners with the teams in our division. You could point to the Cofield situation, and say we let him go. But we already had a replacement in place with LJ. You can’t just let someone go if you don’t have a replacement in place, which I would argue is the case here.

I don’t say we’d break the bank for him, but I think they’ll try to resign him.

8.  Samardzija says:

Ive seen Hightower a lot from previous years, nothing this year though. ill likely not contribute much to the draft discussion this year as Ive simply not been able to watch jack. I really liked Hightower, until he blew out his knee. Twice. He is simply not the same guy I saw playing Utah in the sugar bowl his freshman year. Too big, too slow and not that sharp. Could be a pretty good 3-4 guy, but he wont succeed as a mike in a 4-3.

9.  The Original G Man says:

Was probably posted previously, if so … too bad. Worth posting again:

Sights and Sounds – NYG vs GB

I hope we we win it all so they’ll show those Deon Grant clips on NFL Films forever:

“They caught us at our peak. Let me change that. They caught us *PEAKING*.”

10.  The Original G Man says:

Jim Rome on Eli Manning:

(Me: Welcome to the revolution, Jim)

Eli Manning won’t say it…so Jim Rome will say it for him. How do you like the little brother now?? I’ve seen some ruthless Qb performances in my time…but Eli going into Lambeau and ripping hearts out…again….is right up there.

I expected him to play well. But I didn’t expect him to do that and honestly, I’m sure Green Bay didn’t either. Because there wasn’t a play he couldn’t make or a pass he couldn’t lace. And he had his most success when the Packers had set him up to fail: third and long. 3rd and 8? Easy. First down. 3rd and 11? Challenge me. First down. Sneak attack, Hail Mary to twist the knife at the end of the first half. Cake.

Make no mistake, after Tim Tebow, Eli Manning might be the nicest guy in America. But know this; he’s also one of the most vicious guys in the NFL. Yeah I said it.

And if you’re still clinging to the image of Eli Manning as an aww shucks, dopey little brother who lucked his way into a ring, you’re just not paying attention. Because when that down marker flips to ‘3’, E flips to kill mode. And the second he goes onto the frozen tundra, he owns it. That’s his house now.

He didn’t win Sunday because the Ol Gunslinger threw the game away. He won because he was the best player on the field. I didn’t clown him when he said he was elite. And if you did, he’s clowning you now. There’s no throw he can’t make. There’s no game he can’t win. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again right now: you can’t spell elite, without E-L-I….