Nate Solder Possibly Visiting the New York Giants?

April 5th, 2011 at 8:38 AM
By Serena Sanderson

Offensive tackle Nate Solder out of Colorado is currently in New York and rumored to possibly be visiting the New York Giants this week. With the Giants struggles on the offensive line last season, Solder could be a prospect Big Blue looks to take with the 19th pick.

New York Giants Mario Manningham, Will Beatty, Brandon Jacobs, Eli Manning, Kevin Boss, Rich Seubert, Chris Snee and Derek Hagan stand on the field during a time out in the first quarter against the Jacksonville Jaguars at New Meadowlands Stadium in week 12 of the NFL in East Rutherford, New Jersey on November 28, 2010. The Giants defeated the Jaguars 24-20. UPI /John Angelillo

Might Solder be standings in this line next year?

Solder is a solid tackle at 6'8 and 315 pounds. His size is definitely not a question when looking at his potential, although he could use a little more strength. Solder has a lot of upside. He's big, he's agile and has good balance, he can protect the edge and has lots of experience after playing five years at Colorado after red shirting his freshman year. He's got great football intelligence and awareness. He was the Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the year and a finalist for the Outland Trophy and an All-Big 12 selection. He's a class act in the locker room, loved by his teammates and coaches

In his freshman year at Colorado, a season he didn't even play, his teammates selected him for the Special Teams Scout Award in recognition of his commitment and effort. He's got a great work ethic and he's a leader on and off the field.

Like all draft prospects, Solder has some downside as well. He's not very strong, he struggles to anchor his spot when blocking, he could be more aggressive, and he will still need some refining and polishing once he hits the NFL. The best thing about Solder's downside? It's all coachable and fixable. His strength can be remedied in the weight room and by playing against guys that are bigger than what he's used to. His struggles with aggressiveness and anchoring can be helped with professional coaching and getting knocked on his backside a few times. He'll figure it out when he's hit the ground more times than he cares to. And any player leaving college and entering the NFL is going to need some refining. It's all about reps and playing time.

The biggest concern facing Solder is that he gets upright too soon instead of staying low. He's a tall guy and his lack of power allows guys to get by him when his center of gravity is too high. Again, something that is coachable.

I watched some video of him from this past season and he typically lines up on the left. He consistently kept the quarterback's blind side safe and clear, but there were a few times he let a guy get by him. That's going to happen in any game, but he's got to learn how to stay on his block. You can see the anchoring problem when the edge rusher is smaller and faster than he is. Solder struggles to adjust his stance lower and keep faster guys out of the way. Even then, he uses his length to keep his hands on the rusher even if he can't stop him. When he lines up on the inside, he's a great rush blocker and often helps create holes for running backs to get through. He may not be able to push guys out of a running back's way, but he can throw them to the side and give the back just enough time to get through a hole.

At the end of last season, the Giants had three offensive lineman have surgery. All three are now rehabbing on their own instead of with the team facilities due to the lockout. With Rich Seubert being one of those players, the left side of the ball could be a question. Protecting the blind side of Eli Manning will be huge in reducing the number of interceptions thrown and sacks Manning takes. The Giants adjusted well last season, and I'm sure they are perfectly capable of doing it again, but it sure would be nice to have someone like Solder who can slide in to that position without hesitation. Big Blue definitely needs to answer some questions about the offensive line with their draft picks, and they need to do it early. Solder may or may not be available when the Giants get their first pick at 19, but if he is, he's definitely worth taking.

Tags: Football, Nate Solder, New York Giants, NFL

Short URL:

37 Responses to “Nate Solder Possibly Visiting the New York Giants?”

I agree that there are OL concerns. And we’ve gone back and forth on this issue quite a bit. But I seriously doubt we’ll see Costanzo and Smith still there when we select at #19. Tackles go early. Especially ones projected as left tackles… like those 2. This is why Solder is the one in for a visit.

Pouncey is a player I’d love to have. But he’s over-valued at 19… and probably will take a year to adjust. However long term he won’t disappoint. He’ll start somewhere.

Solder is also a LT projection, but he’s raw… and not a sure bet. The others may be more suited for one of the other line positions.

So in a sense it comes down to this… take another project like Solder (tall, not brute strong… will Beatty 2.0?)… or take someone earlier than you should to fill the need at center.

•  demo3356 says:

Couldnt agree more

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

I have huge doubts about Solder. But he is NOT Will Beatty 2.0 He’s got a good 2 or 3 inches and 10-15 pounds on him. He does appear to lack strength (as Serena alluded to) and I have concerns about his technique. Contrary to what Serena believes, I don’t think some of that is coachable; his height is gonna preclude him from getting and staying low while blocking. It’s like Jacobs, who has a hard time lowering himself while running and, consequently, leaves his lower half open for punishment.

My main concern is the effect that his size and the position he plays will have on his back. I can already foresee spasms and strains ala Luke Petitgout down the road.

I pass on him. I don’t think we’re so hard up for a tackle that we draft one just for the sake of it. I have Costanzo and Smith rated higher and, thus, should they be available at #19, I think their value necessitates a draft pick. In the absence of those two (and maybe Carimi, who I think would be a very good RT), I look elsewhere.

And if we did take Solder… Beatty slides over to ROT… I guarantee it.

3.  SterlingTN says:

We had some pretty strong storms here in Tennessee, and my power was out from mid-afternoon yesterday until two hours ago, so I was unable to continue taking part in yesterday’s interesting discussion about OTs, impact players, etc.

Kujo: To clarify, I said that I can’t see the Giants starting a rookie at LT. Not guaranteeing that they wouldn’t, but I find it unlikely. Also, I consider LB to be more of an area of need than OT. (For that matter, as we’ve discussed before, I consider C to be more of an area of need than OT.) I am NOT saying that we should draft strictly for need — like many of us, I believe in drafting a combination of need and BPA — or pick an inferior LB just for the sake of picking an LB. But I believe that the right LB would likely have more of an impact than an OT as far as improving an area of weakness.

And I think that without free agency this year, we lean a bit more towards need than BPA than JR usually does. But as I say, I’m no draft expert, so we shall see.

By the way, is there a deadline for the mock drafts? There probably should be.

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Again, we are in agreement that, strictly regarding “need,” both linebacker and center (as well as corner) are much higher in priority than an OT. Pending the results of free agency, we might need to add RB and DT to that list as well. But we both know that, if at all possible, JR prefers to draft more towards value than need–with 3 young DEs on the roster, there’s no way to have made a case that we NEEDED to draft a DE last year.

So, while all of those aforementioned positions are higher on the NEED list, they may all be usurped, in the 1st round at least, by a player who represents a higher value. I believe Costanzo could be that guy, but he may well be gone. I still think Pouncey could also be considered one of those guys who you reach for because he’s there and won’t be there when you pick again. I think he’s good and is going to be in the same stratosphere as his brother.

•  SterlingTN says:

It’s definitely a possibility. In a normal year, JR tends towards BPA… but without free agency?

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Without free agency, I think he goes for sure things; Costanzo is one of them. Pouncey is another. And a whole bevy of DTs would be as well.

4. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Chad Reuter from CBS Sports has us taking Muhammad Wilkerson, DT (Temple).

5.  SterlingTN says:

Unless I’m mistaken, you’re not a big fan of us taking a DT in Round One, are you?

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

No. But I recognize that it is a possibility should one of these monsters drop, considering the uncertain future of Cofield.

•  SterlingTN says:

I think that if the Giants go DT, it’s an indication that they’re not optimistic about Cofield coming back. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t have a major problem with them going DT. Also, from what I’ve read about Wilkerson, he could play some DE as well.

6. I think were going DT as well. No pulse on the second round if we were to do that though

7. Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Just in case anyone needed a reminder of how awesome G101 is in comparison to other Giants sites, here’s a snippet of a post from Garafalo’s comment section from a user named TheRightReese:

“HEY MORON. LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING. I DONT GET PAID TO PICK BEATTY, BARDEN, Or SINTEM. JERRY REESE DOES!!!!! AND THATS WHY HE WILL BE FIRED AFTER 2011. BECAUSE EVERYTHING HE TOUCHES TURNS TO MUSH AND FALLS APART!!!! AND THATS WHAT HE GETS PAID FOR!!!!!! TO MAKE GOOD PICKS!!!! HIS DRAFT RECORD IS PATHETIC!!!!!! 8 good Players out of 38 picks is not cutting it by NFL standards if you want to be a good team!!!! NOW LEARN THE NFL BEFORE YOU POST HERE ON THIS SITE AGAIN!!!!! MORON!!!!!!!!!!!”

Let this be a reminder that, while far from perfect, Giants 101 is a virtually panacea compared to the turd sandwich of other sites out there.

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Another gem:

“I stand on what ever side your are against Mr. Sharpton. I thank god every day That Hispanics have now become the number 2 race behind whites!!! Leaving entitlest whiners like you in the dust. Hey But now at least you have two races above you to hate now instead on one George Jefferson!!”

8.  SterlingTN says:

Yes, and as the proud driver of the Ramses-Barden-Will-Have-A-Breakout-Season-in-2011 bus — a bus that thus far has no passengers, by the way — I am particularly disgusted by the RightReese.

Actually, before joining Giants101 last year, I often read Garafolo’s site, as I consider him to be one of the best at covering the Giants. But the message board there has a bunch of terrible posters. (Along with some good ones.)

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

I tried to do some recon over there a few months back. Some of our old crew is there–jfunk, FF55– and a few other very good posters. But it’s the Wild West over there. The ignorance and general dumbassery is astounding!

• Matthew Kiernankujo says:

Speaking of driving, we woke up this morning to find that some jerkoff had stolen the wheels and rims off of my girl’s car. Nothing special–stock rims. But they’re gone; the car is being held up by a couple of bricks. It was nice of them to do that, at least.

I thought those boys would be back by now. Honestly, I don’t know how they got so upset. But I’m not ‘in the know’ anyway.

Danny Watkins… OG out of Baylor. Anyone got an opinion? Looks like a 2nd round steal.

•  Samardzija says:

Dude is old as dirt though. Really dont like drafting 27 year olds in the 2nd..

• Drew Rigsbeearigsbee says:

From everything I’ve read, heard, etc. he could step in and start immediately. If we’re unable to get a bookend tackle or Pouncey in the first…he could start at LG.

Having said that…I want either Pouncey or Costonzo in round 1, and Mason Foster in round 2.